Honored Contributor

Yes, The IRS May Call

[ Edited ]

Now that every citizen of the US has learned that the IRS will never call you about taxes due, they've been given permission to use collection services that may indeed call you. 

If you're delinquent in paying taxes owed, you will receive a letter from the IRS with the name of one of several collection agencies,  listed for your account.   These people are authorized to call taxpayers on behalf of the IRS

Don't you feel sorry for the poor debt collector who has to try and convince people that he's legit?  If he has an accent, forget it. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I think that if I owed the IRS money I would most certainly be aware of it and would not be surprised if they called me.  Now if I,didn't owe and was not delinquent I cannot imagine that I would fall for any of these scams where people are told they must wire money immediately

Respected Contributor

That's the silliest thing ever and what a waste of money. The IRS can send certified letters then garnish wages and impose liens. Why in the world do they need to call people?  

Respected Contributor

Your subject matter is misleading.

No, the IRS doesn't call.    A collection agency on behalf of a debt due to the IRS would call.

Please make sure that people understand what you are stating, there are a lot of people who read the forums.  The information posted here sometimes to some people may be the only thing that they read.

No, no, no, the IRS will NOT call. 

Honored Contributor

Nope, don't feel a bit sorry for them. They put it out there that they'd never call and now they want to retract it and have bill collectors call on their behalf...?  No, uh uh, don't feel sorry for them or their minions at all...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

news to me

Honored Contributor

If this is true, man people will now ignore those calls and get themselves into even deeper trouble.

I'd say if you get a call like that, call the IRS directly and settle your issue. Better safe than sorry.

Respected Contributor

Below is extracted from information on irs.gov.  Two letters are sent before any calls are to be made.

"Private Debt Collection
The Internal Revenue Service plans to begin private collection of certain overdue federal tax debts as early as spring of 2017 and has selected four contractors to implement the new program.

The IRS will give taxpayers and their representative written notice that the accounts are being transferred to the private collection agencies. The agencies will send a second, separate letter to the taxpayer and their representative confirming this transfer.

Private collection agencies will not ask for payment on a prepaid debit card. Taxpayers will be informed about electronic payment options for taxpayers on IRS.gov/Pay Your Tax Bill. Payment by check should be payable to the U.S. Treasury and sent directly to IRS, not the private collection agency."

Honored Contributor

@Reba055 wrote:

That's the silliest thing ever and what a waste of money. The IRS can send certified letters then garnish wages and impose liens. Why in the world do they need to call people?  

And why would they need a collection agency??  They ARE the collection agency and have very easy ways to collect what is owed..... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

This is very confusing and will end up with many people getting scammed. The scammers will catch on to what agency they should say they are from. I still wouldn't trust a call from a collection agency on behalf of the IRS.