Honored Contributor

Yes, Meghan IS Influenced by Audrey Hepburn

[ Edited ]

[Decided to google whether or not Meghan Markle regards Audrey Hepburn as a style icon.  Yes, she does.]

ETA:  Audrey was a UNICEF Special Ambassador.

It looks like Meghan might really be inspired by the life of Audrey Hepburn, but was her wedding dress also inspired by Audrey?

Hepburn was also known as a major style icon, thanks to being a muse for Hubert de Givenchy, the founder of the fashion house of Givenchy. He dressed her throughout her career as well as designing looks for different films she starred in, including the LBD that Hepburn wore in Breakfast at Tiffany’s.

Source: Paramount Pictures

One film of Audrey’s that you might not be familiar with is Funny Face, 1957 musical rom-com starring Fred Astaire alongside Hepburn. Responsible for designing the wedding dress for Hepburn in the movie was Givenchy

The dress also features a bateau-necked dress, very similar to the wedding dress that Meghan was married in on Saturday.

Source: Paramount pictures

As well as the neckline, the clean lines, the minimalism, and the snow-white look of the dress is very similar to Meghan’s.

Both dresses can stand up as classic bridal creations that will always be stylish, and not trendy.

Meghan herself in 2016, when speaking of wedding dresses, said:

Classic and simple is the name of the game, perhaps with a modern twist.

The skirt of Audrey’s is very 1950s, whilst the A-line of Meghan’s is more modern.

Hepburn’s bridal bouquet is a pale, sage green and white… again very similar to the colour scheme of Meghan’s bouquet and the colour of the dress that Meghan’s mum Doria wore.

Source: Pa Images

Both bouquets feature Lily of the Valley as a main component of the Bridal Bouquet.

Will we be seeing more Audrey Hepburn inspired style from Meghan in the future?

Honored Contributor

Re: Yes, Meghan IS Influenced by Audrey Hepburn

@golding76-she was quoted as being inspired by the late wife of John F Kennedy Jr.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can see that, too, violann.

The irrational, superstitious part of me does not want to think too hard on Carolyn Bessette, though.

Respected Contributor

Meghan is a couple years younger than me, but she definitely has great inspiration from both Hepburn and Mrs. Kennedy-Onassis, if that’s who inspired her. 

I thought everything about her was lovely, and I’m not even a person who followed this wedding journey. I watched the wedding online to see what she wore. I loved her simple makeup and I hope some younger girls can take note of her natural look last Saturday. 

Respected Contributor

Had to smile when I saw the wedding dress photo.  It is identical to my senior prom (‘62) dress.  My dress was champagne color with embroidered floral lace over the silk top and over the bouffant short skirt !  

All the the other dresses were floor length.  Little did I know how in style that dress was, lol !!!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here is Megan at her first Wedding and the dress she chose. It was very plain but classy.

535FF23B-9142-4963-A8FF-4BFD75225E42.jpeg

85212BE7-A7CD-4724-B51B-9B26E302FDA9.png

Respected Contributor

I don't think there was one original idea from Meghan  that surfaced at the wedding. From clothing to service, transportation etc. It was all completely orchestrated and borrowed from icons from the past. Beautiful just the same. Hard to get original in a world as old and as well recorded as ours.

Honored Contributor

There certainly was an idea at the reception. She had slippers for all the ladies, so they could take their heels off ,and be comfortable

I think that as a terrific idea

Respected Contributor

And that has never been done before? LOL

Honored Contributor

I don't recall ever hearing anyone do this