Honored Contributor

Re: Yes, I do and yes, they will

@Kachina624 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@MoJoV wrote:

They are beautiful,gentle creatures. I understand the thrill of feeding them. Our son is a Conservation Police Officer and would tell you this is not helping them. Not lecturing.  

Drawing them into areas where people live is dangerous, for both humans and animals. 

@CrazyDaisy   In the fall, during the rut, those beautiful, gentle bucks can become very aggressive and dangerous.  Every year I hear about one attacking someone.  I wouldn't want them around.

My husband worked at the San Diego Zoo when he was a teen. He told me that no matter how tame, they can cause great bodily injury just trying to get the offered food.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

You are putting these beautiful creatures in danger. I have seen what happens when you have a neighbor who (against the law) feeds them and another neighbor who is a hunter.  PLEASE don't give the hunters an EASY victim! That is what you are doing when you feed them and they lose all their fear of humans. They walk right up to the hunters (and YOU fattened them up for him). They are WILD animals...let them stay that way and SAFE. Look, admire them but don't feed (if you love them).

Esteemed Contributor

cannot Re: Yes, I do and yes, they will

It is NOT illegal to feed deer in my state.  What part of deer cannot be hunted in my area do I need to explain again?

I do not hand feed them daily.  When feeding the nutritional pellets, I put a pile of pellets down along the perimeter of my back yard, every 6 feet.  When feeding carrots and apples, I generally toss them out in handfuls.  

I won't make my detractors happy, but I will stop hand feeding.  It was only Buckley and MB who would take from my hand.

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

Re: cannot Re: Yes, I do and yes, they will

[ Edited ]

@MamaWick wrote:

It is NOT illegal to feed deer in my state.  What part of deer cannot be hunted in my area do I need to explain again?

I do not hand feed them daily.  When feeding the nutritional pellets, I put a pile of pellets down along the perimeter of my back yard, every 6 feet.  When feeding carrots and apples, I generally toss them out in handfuls.  

I won't make my detractors happy, but I will stop hand feeding.  It was only Buckley and MB who would take from my hand.

@MamaWick @For your own protection, wear disposable gloves when feeding them. Look up Chronic Wasting Disease. We do not know about this diseases transmission to humans yet, so take precautions. Whether saliva can transmit the virus to humans or to other deer is still under investigation. This is a prion disease in cervids, such as deer, and is similar to mad cow disease. Some prion diseases  can take up to 50 years before symptoms in humans show up. I love your photos. Keep enjoying your little visitors.

Esteemed Contributor

@MamaWick wrote:

While no one can make you do anything, I would hope that some of the responses here would at least have you investigate some of the ramafications and damage you could be doing.  Looking past what you want in the moment and to the deers long term best interest is important.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Hand feeding wild animals does a HUGE disservice to that animal! Sure you are gaining their trust but you are enabling them to not be fearful of humans. That's NOT a good thing. It's bad enough to bait deer but to hand feed them should be criminal.

It is in some places. I have been to many state parks and they tell you not to feed them. 

Honored Contributor

@MamaWick wrote:

I think you made a wise decision, @MamaWick. I hope to see more pics!

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MamaWick   They are so cute! However, last year deer ate all of my daylilies at the height of their blooming season and all of my patio tomatoes. I would like to place directions to your house in deer language on my patio. Since I don't know deer language, I've planted perfumy smelling plants all throughout the beds around my patio. Enjoy your deer, and make sure to check for ticks!

Respected Contributor

@MamaWick 

OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH

MYYYYYYYY

GOOOOODNESSSSSSSSS !!!

I love seeing this - I hope they never, ever, get close to anyone BUT you like this!!!