Honored Contributor

Re: Yes, Another Mask Thread. Open at Your Own Risk!

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I am in a county in Ohio that is now at a Level 3 and are mandated as of 6:00 this evening to wear masks.  Many are losing their minds over it.  You know, their rights and all.  

The county sheriff put something up immediately that basically says until they get further clarification on the mandate, they are not enforcing it and they do not want people flooding them with calls turning people/businesses in.  

Cuyahoga County is on the verge of being totally shut down again to the point they will only be allowed to leave for essential items. 

Bye-bye Cuyahoga County........

Trusted Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

@minimalistWF wrote:

@QueenDanceALot 

If someone actually has a medical condition keeping them from wearing a mask, then they are also at a very high risk with the virus, so they wouldn't (or shouldn't) be in public places to begin with.  

So ridiculous how these "karens" are coming out of the woodwork with fake medical conditions.  One can only hope that karma works in this situation.

Ok this bothers me a lot. I know of someone who was assaulted and has ptsd and cannot wear a mask without having the assault come back. Also those with mental issues are not faking it. And breathing issues. Please consider that not everyone is not wearing a mask just to be an a**

That is something I had not considered @Lali1 are the emotions of men and women regarding masks in the past.  I would assume the use of Karen's would be a racial slur, maybe I am wrong.  The mods would know for sure.

Of course many people don't think about anything but their own circumstance. Being so close to me I get so upset reading the comments about how selfish and awful these people are. I'm sure some with autism and other issues have some of the same issues with masks. People just can't seem to put themselves in others shoes. 
Karen is a racial slur imo but the mods are selective about what they allow and don't. It can be frustrating.  

Well,I certainly hope not, as that's my name...I wish people would stop using this name...it's getting to the point I want to go by my middle name instead😜

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't understand some of the disagreement about going mask free.  I don't care if people who live in the country, nowhere near others, with only a hat and a horse never wear a mask,  on, or near their property.  Of course living situations (and health issues) vary and need to be judged by the individual.  This is common sense.

The fact remains, though, that people eventually have to wander from their private compounds for basic needs -- groceries, gas, pharmacy, etc., unless they have some type of delivery and can use telemedicine, if required.  

It's hard for anyone to remain an island of isolation, these days.  Masks are for the times we MUST leave our islands. When we do so, we have a responsibility to wear our mask for our protection and that of others. People can complain about wearing them, but the reality is -- masks, with social distancing is ALL we have to defend against this deadly virus now.  ALL we have!

Make NO mistake, no one likes to wear them. They make me feel like I'm suffocating, and that was before triple digit heat set in. We're expecting temps of 105-106, with heat indexes of over 109 the next few days.  Highest temps since 2013.  Great!  

So, no, I'm not happy about covering my face.  But, I will, until I have good evidence based studies that say they aren't necessary, instead of engaging individuals who want to spin the current information for various agendas.  I do accept it's just human nature, to want to fill in the unknowns ourselves, for our own needs, but it's risky.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Karie2022 wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

@minimalistWF wrote:

@QueenDanceALot 

If someone actually has a medical condition keeping them from wearing a mask, then they are also at a very high risk with the virus, so they wouldn't (or shouldn't) be in public places to begin with.  

So ridiculous how these "karens" are coming out of the woodwork with fake medical conditions.  One can only hope that karma works in this situation.

Ok this bothers me a lot. I know of someone who was assaulted and has ptsd and cannot wear a mask without having the assault come back. Also those with mental issues are not faking it. And breathing issues. Please consider that not everyone is not wearing a mask just to be an a**

That is something I had not considered @Lali1 are the emotions of men and women regarding masks in the past.  I would assume the use of Karen's would be a racial slur, maybe I am wrong.  The mods would know for sure.

Of course many people don't think about anything but their own circumstance. Being so close to me I get so upset reading the comments about how selfish and awful these people are. I'm sure some with autism and other issues have some of the same issues with masks. People just can't seem to put themselves in others shoes. 
Karen is a racial slur imo but the mods are selective about what they allow and don't. It can be frustrating.  

Well,I certainly hope not, as that's my name...I wish people would stop using this name...it's getting to the point I want to go by my middle name instead😜

I don't know that the relatively adolescent 'karen' meme was originally intended as a racial slur, but it's more or less morphed into one for entitled white women... Regardless, it's unflattering and is a derogatory pejorative assigned to a certain class of people... One can only imagine the hue and cry that would go out were other pejoratives deemed acceptable and routinely used here... As a group, those legitimately fitting the 'entitled' description might well be unlikable people. Still, there are any number of groups of unlikable people who might be assigned any number of disparaging names but really, isn't doing so just another means of profiling and of lumping people together based on having similar characteristics?  As always, it cuts both ways, or should anyway...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I read that some places are saying to even wear a mask inside your own home. Come arrest me.....no way will I ever do that. I can barely wear one when I am out anyway.
Honored Contributor

@violann wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I am in a county in Ohio that is now at a Level 3 and are mandated as of 6:00 this evening to wear masks.  Many are losing their minds over it.  You know, their rights and all.  

The county sheriff put something up immediately that basically says until they get further clarification on the mandate, they are not enforcing it and they do not want people flooding them with calls turning people/businesses in.  

Cuyahoga County is on the verge of being totally shut down again to the point they will only be allowed to leave for essential items. 

Bye-bye Cuyahoga County........

So, I had to post this by one of my all time favorite bands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTLcZDY9pzs

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Constitution does NOT give people the right not to wear a mask. People shouting this have no clue what they are talking about. In times like this - pandemic - the government does legally have the right to take more control for the good of the people. No one has the right to do whatever they want. No one fought for that. 

I have repeatedly seen interviews with experts stating that anyone with a disability severe enough to prevent them from wearing a mask is not going to be out in public.

According to HIPAA law, persons with disabilities preventing them from wearing masks are NOT supposed to be allowed in stores requiring masks. Legally, the stores are supposed to handle the situation appropriately - offer to shop the items for the maskless disabled person. If the person won’t accept that they need to leave.

Honored Contributor

There is no fundamental right to expose others to a disease.

You don't get to decide that for other people. You don't have the right to force others to take a risk just because you are in their vicinity without a mask on.

When your decisions infringe on others' rights, you may be told what to do so everyone else can get on with life. Just like you can't blast your radio from your car in the middle of the night in a residential neighborhood. People need to sleep and people need to live, so you need to comply with the rules just like everyone else. It's nothing to get upset over.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Despite it being a real challenge, I make every effort to wear a mask whenever I go into any public area. Still, let me just say that all these supposed 'experts' continually being cited about one thing or another would do better to get together on their advice, be consistent among themselves and quite frankly to come up with something more effective than has been their track record to date... Distancing and hand washing are fine, masks might or might not help, depending on who you listen to and when you listen to them... but none of the above is anywhere near approaching a significant, meaningful intervention...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain wrote:

There is no fundamental right to expose others to a disease.

You don't get to decide that for other people. You don't have the right to force others to take a risk just because you are in their vicinity without a mask on.

When your decisions infringe on others' rights, you may be told what to do so everyone else can get on with life. Just like you can't blast your radio from your car in the middle of the night in a residential neighborhood. People need to sleep and people need to live, so you need to comply with the rules just like everyone else. It's nothing to get upset over.

@porcelain   A good example is when smoking bans in restaurants and public places were enacted. There's a reason for it.  To protect public health. There are even apartment buildings that have been built to disallow smokers. 

I'm pretty sure there are State Public Health Laws that have specifics about isolation and quarantine regarding infectious diseases and that individual rights are superseded by the right to preserve community public health.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.