Honored Contributor

Re: Yearly Physical OH BOY

[ Edited ]

@granddi   Yes, you can decline the Wellness exam or any part of it.

It must be offered, but is not mandatory that you accept.

Most seniors think this is a physical, which it is not.

IMG_2126.jpeg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

@CelticCrafter   I drew a digital clock instead of an analog clock.  I was supposed to set the time at 10:10.

When told by the young lady that I drew the wrong type of clock, I told her I did that so that she could figure it out.

Most young people cannot tell time with an analog clock anymore.

I refuse to have this wellness test again.  The questioner is enough to send me into a rage.  I was aware of it because I have been taking my older friend to doctor appointments for years.

I had a doctor's appointment last week....I go yearly after I get blood work done.  My vitamin D levels can get very low.

I had to check in online before I went.  Along with the usual questions about health insurance updates were questions that I considered very invasive.  

Questions like if I was having difficulty paying rent or mortgage, if I had enough money to buy food, if my house  was warm or cool enough.  What the heck???

I wonder what they do with this info.  I just wrote RNS...rather not say on the comments.

These tests are drawn up by our government programs.  The doctors are getting paid to administer these tests.

Anyone who has Medicare will be given these Wellness Exams and asked to fill out the stupid paperwork with evasive questions on it.

Patients think they are getting physicals, but they are not physicals.

I refuse to cooperate.  My doctor's office doesn't even offer me the Wellness Exam  anymore, but the online questions are new.  I wonder if everyone is asked, or only the seniors.

I was watching a YouTube video of in interviewer asking college kids around a campus various easy questions. 

One of them was, "How many minutes are in a quarter of an  hour".  The overwhelming majority either didn't know or said 25 minutes....I thought, what the heck is going on?!! 

Then I realized that most have not learned how to tell time using an analog clock and just assumed that a "quarter" as in the coin equalled 25!

Pretty unbelievable!

Valued Contributor

I am not of Medicare age nor do I have Social Security Disability and I have similar questions to answer yearly at my doc's office. 

@Carmie   -  You shouldn't be offended at the questions...paying the mortgage, money to buy food, it is hot/cold enough in the house...if the answer was yes to any of these a referral to an organization to help would most likely be made. 

And, my young adult, does know how to tell time on an analog clock.  He know a quarter to, a quarter after, and half passed the hour.  He wears an analog wrist watch every day.   

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 I had it happen in real life. 

What time is it?

Quarter after 2.

I don't know what that means...

Honored Contributor

I have never gone for a wellness or annual physical. I just go when I need to.

I asked a primary care doctor what was the point in a yearly physical, if they basically check all vital signs, ask medical questions etc at each visit?

She said she agreed and that it is because the practice is paid for each wellness visit and annual physical. If there are not enough annual physicals, they will get less payments because it will be recorded as not having that many patients. Something like that.

So I don't think these are to benefit the patient but as many things, its the money the practice receives.

And I just stopped refusing to answer any of the questions that are supposed to access your mood, or other strange things. Many cannot be answered with a yes or no and also can label you as something that you are not!

When my mother died I had a dr appt a few months later and was asked the usual questions on that sheet that nurses are required to ask. She asked if I found myself sad. I said yes I was missing my mother and sad about it. On the drs notes I saw she wrote I was chronically depressed. Wow. There is nothing wrong with having depression but it was not accurate. I got it removed from  and frommy chart and from then on chose not to answer those again.

A good doctor should know you or get to know you and the tests that you need and also listen to your preferences.

And I always appreciate so much when their notes are accurate.

Don't ever hesitate to correct ones that are not.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@granddi wrote:

@Carmie Can we decline the wellness exam?

The questions are a waste of time, intrusive, insulting and more.

Patients are often ambushed with this "exam" thinking that we are going in for a annual visit to review medical history, meds, etc.

But instead, we get the questions that you described. 

At this type of visit, the rules say a new problem cannot be discussed. 

There is one question: Are you se *ually acitve? What does this even mean? I asked the doctor : what do you mean, explain this question posed to a 76 yo woman. She said " I'll say decline to answer"

Or: Do you have throw rugs? Yes, I know they are a fall hazzard. But if you bathe you probably step on to a bath mat.

Or: Are you afraid of falling? I am careful not to fall such as holding hand rails but I would not describe my actions as afraid.

Questions about food insecurity, able to pay rent, loneliness.....

At my last doc, I filled out all this on line and then answered all the questions again orally. At one point, I said "oh, I thought I had answered all these" Doc, we are just going over them now. 

Always wonder why that is anybodys business at this point in life!  It's not like you are irresponsible or in danger of unwanted pregnancies.  But the college age group, they are passing out prophylactics like they are a right of passage🙄

Honored Contributor

As a patient we all have the right to decline any wellness visit, physical, test, procedure, etc.

I like my primary care dr because I value his opinion but he also respects mine and my feelings about a lot of things.

A doctor should get to know their patient and not every huge list of  recommended tests or usually prescribed meds are right for everyone, and sometimes more detrimental.

Some people like annual physicals, especially if they aren't sure if everything is ok or want to put their minds at ease.

Some good drs will assess most that is included in these annual things at almost every visit.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@haddon9 I had it happen in real life. 

What time is it?

Quarter after 2.

I don't know what that means...

@CelticCrafter   OMG!!!

Frequent Contributor

I had my first Wellness check. 

The assistant gave me a five component address and told me she'd ask me later what it was.  I'm bad at remembering addresses, that's why I always write them down or put them into my google maps! 

Also had to name the months of the year backwards and say the alphabet backwards, as well. 

And some of the other questions felt like the appropriate answer would be MYOB! 

Honored Contributor

@taquito wrote:

I had my first Wellness check. 

The assistant gave me a five component address and told me she'd ask me later what it was.  I'm bad at remembering addresses, that's why I always write them down or put them into my google maps! 

Also had to name the months of the year backwards and say the alphabet backwards, as well. 

And some of the other questions felt like the appropriate answer would be MYOB! 

@taquito because that's something you use in your everyday life.