Occasional Contributor

Re: Yeah, Me! It Has Been 24 Hours Since I Last Had A Cigarette!!!

Congrts.......

I quit 2/12 years ago...I used the patch after speaking with my dr. She said "Don't be stupid....don't do it without help" Very blunt I know. As a women I put a new patch on my butt for months (changed cheeks daily lol) VAIN...I didn't want a patch seen.

THE BEST THING I EVER DID!!!!!!

You have to do what is best for you. The best advice I can to you is this.

You wil have cravings....it's ok

Start some sort or cardio if you can. Join the gym, do a video, something.

It will make you feel better, releases endorphines so mentally you will feel better.

I also did more cardio than normal because as most who quit you worry about weightgain, don't let that be why you would start smoking again!!!!!!!!!!

Start ASAP......I wish you the very best of luck, I know how you feel.

YOU ARE BETTER THAN A CIGARETTE.....don't give in to the bully. Your life is worth sooooooooooo much more.

I hope I helped xo

Respected Contributor

I quit cold about 30 years ago after smoking almost 2 packs per day.  I have never been sorry.  Even after all this time, there are times when I would like a cigarette, but I never give in.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Glad to hear it!!   Keep it up and give yourself a pat on the back!!!  Be healthy!

Respected Contributor

@Plaid Pants2

checking in.  i hope you are doing well!  Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

Great news - I quit in 1999 - began waking up and my chest had this feeling like someone was sitting on me.  I used the patches which were popular back then and eventually just weaned myself off those.   CONGRATS! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 - CONGRATULATIONS!!! I quit almost 11 years ago - a decision I never regret. Do not give in to those urges - distract yourself, change your habits, go for a walk, etc - YOU CAN DO THIS!!! We are all here to support you! 

Super Contributor

Good luck

If you need inspiration, go to a hospital.

Visit the people that are there because of their smoking.

Its not pretty

Its not kool

My mom was put in a hospital for her smoking.

She would lay in bed, WEAK, needing help for everything.

Mom looked at me

Her words

"This is not fair"

Yes. Mom soon died 

I lost my best friend :-(

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." MLK
Respected Contributor

Sounds like you are off to a good start - you WANT to stop smoking.  You can't force someone - CONGRATULATIONS!  My mom died at 59 from emphysema from smoking - it was a horrible death.  Keep up the good work. 

Esteemed Contributor

@gmkb wrote:

I quit cold about 30 years ago after smoking almost 2 packs per day.  I have never been sorry.  Even after all this time, there are times when I would like a cigarette, but I never give in.  

There are times I would like a cigarette also (quit 11 years ago),  but I don't give in either.  In my case I fear all it would take is 1 and I'd be smoking again.  Thankfully, I only get the urge once or twice a year.  

Honored Contributor

Congratulations! I have never smoked but I do know that it is very very hard to quit. I hear most people try several times to quit before they are successful. My ex boyfriend smoked for many years and quit cold-turkey one day and didn't smoke again for several years. I think I heard now he still smokes on occasion (when he drinks) which is disappointing to hear but, again, I hear it is hard to do. Keep up the great work!