Esteemed Contributor

Re: Yeah, Me! It Has Been 24 Hours Since I Last Had A Cigarette!!!

I smoked all through high school and college.  It was cool then and everyone I knew was smoking.  My Dad smoked, so it was really easy to sneak some of his cigs.  I did quit 40 years ago when my mother found out she had cancer -- a person who never touched a cigarette nor alcohol. 

It was hard, especially when drinking a cup of coffee.  Gum and hard candy became my best friends!!!   I still love the smell of that first whiff when someone lights up, but will never touch them again. A suggestion - what really helped me was to surround myself with people who did not smoke and  whose clothing did not smell of smoke.  It was difficult to find people who did not smoke in those days, but many of my friends also quit during that time.  Congratulations and good luck!!

Honored Contributor

@PlaidPants2

I think your success with this challenge lies in your statement "you don't enjoy smoking anymore".   I applaud you for saying that and taking your first steps to stop this habit.   

My husband has smoked for 50 years, and my 81 year old mother has craved cigarettes since she was 5 years old.   They do not want to quit, and are quick to say they enjoy smoking.  I accept their decisions.   

I grew up surrounded by smokers; hated the smell of cigarette smoke, hated washing ashtrays.  I swore I would never smoke, and have never been tempted to do so, even after being married to a smoker for over 40 years.   I still hate cigarettes.  

My husband smokes on our front porch, not inside the house, and never in my vehicle.  He is totally oblivious to the nicotine residue in our shower, or on the towel he uses.   My mother never seems to realize she, and her house REEKS of cigarette smoke.  Before every appt, I remind her to wash the outfit she's going to wear, so she doesn't smell like stale smoke.   

My best wishes to you for success!

Respected Contributor

I agree with Redtop cigarettes stink especially if one hotboxes them.  A woman I used to work with always did that on break; it means she'd rapidly inhale her cigarettes one drag after another without stopping for air and yes she smelled awful. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

To each of you that have beat this nasty habit-

I am clean since before 8-15-2001.. my husband too!  Best thing we ever, ever did for ourselves!!  @Plaid Pants2, each & every day is a healing process for your body- you hang in there!!!

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

You go Girl!!!!!!!  I quit six years ago on Chantix!  Never looked back.  Never gained an ounce!

I keep peppermint for anything I need to break the need to have any thing else!  Works!

Valued Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

You go Girl!!!!!!!  I quit six years ago on Chantix!  Never looked back.  Never gained an ounce!

I keep peppermint for anything I need to break the need to have any thing else!  Works!

@ECBG, wasn't Chantix WONDERFUL?!  I thank G-d for it.  At the time it literally made me forget I was a smoker -- I had zero urge to smoke.

Honored Contributor

@Deb1010yetagain wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@ECBG, wasn't Chantix WONDERFUL?!  I thank G-d for it.  At the time it literally made me forget I was a smoker -- I had zero urge to smoke.

******************Exactly!  I was always scared I'd gain weight and I craved nothing.  I quit in total peace!  

Esteemed Contributor

Ohhh Congratulations! Good for you!  I quit cold 27 years ago!

18 months after that I was craving badly. My workplace had a smoking cessation clinic with a hypnotist, I asked if I might benefit even though I had "quit". I attended and have never had a craving since!

Hang in there! So many people are rooting for you!!!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

Congratulations! Heart

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18