Honored Contributor

While we own several very good Whirlpool appliances, I see this issue the same way I do many health issues. Some people except health treatments that address only the symptoms. To me, that is the wrong route to any type of physical or mental recovery.

Unless the source of any type of problem, is first found, and then receives direct evaluation and correction? One's problems will continue on, and more likely than not, become even more serious.

While I have always been a person willing to try to help some in need, I make no pretenses that helping some are going to eliminate their problems. The source has to be located and corrected, where possible. Without that, I don't see things getting better, much less being eliminated.

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Coming to school dirty and lacking clean clothes is not always a sign of child neglect. Could it be an indication? Possibly.

It's also an indication of extreme poverty. Limited access to washing machines/dryers at a laundromat-which costs money. Laundry products are expensive. Not every home has a washer/dryer in it. Frankly, not everyone can afford to wash clothes in a sink or bathtub. 

When in poverty choices have to be made. Food or laundry soap? Rent? Utilities? 

Clean clothes improves self-image which in turn creates a more positive outlook on life. 

Good for Whirlpool and I hope the program is not only expanded but that other manufacturers see the positive results and start their own programs. 

Honored Contributor
@kdgn wrote:

Coming to school dirty and lacking clean clothes is not always a sign of child neglect. Could it be an indication? Possibly.

It's also an indication of extreme poverty. Limited access to washing machines/dryers at a laundromat-which costs money. Laundry products are expensive. Not every home has a washer/dryer in it. Frankly, not everyone can afford to wash clothes in a sink or bathtub. 

When in poverty choices have to be made. Food or laundry soap? Rent? Utilities? 

Clean clothes improves self-image which in turn creates a more positive outlook on life. 

Good for Whirlpool and I hope the program is not only expanded but that other manufacturers see the positive results and start their own programs. 

I was raised in poverty, but at the time did not even know it. My mom raised 4 of us by herself and never said things to make us feel we were different than those with more material possessions.

In that era, my mom saw a washing machine as a much more important item than buying herself jewelry, or buying us a bike or other things that were not necessary.

Conflate that to today what is considered to be living in poverty. Instead of a washing machine in the impoverished(?) home, I would be surprised if there was not a large screen TV set, and also at least 1 or more cell phones. These to some in "poverty(?)" are deemed as a necessity.

I could say much more, I however think this makes my point. While not true in many cases, these things I have seen personally, do exist.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

My parents worked hard, my dad for years in a factory, then a coal miner,my mom worked in a factory, my grand parents   ,grandpa was a coal miner, grandm cleaned houses, she put out huge gardens, they were poor, but every one was clean, no indoor bathrooms until in the 60's, she washed clothes hung them up out side, if you do not have a washer,you could wash clothes by hand hang to dry.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.