Esteemed Contributor

Just heard on the news that  since no Mardi Gras , that some are decorating their homes for  what they are calling Yardi Gras . Those from New Orleans  any special themes that  are  giving you inspiration  to decorate your house ? 

I'd decorate  my house  since we're so bored with this   staying at home mess  but a snow storm is coming my way so  will pass.

Esteemed Contributor

People are going all out on the yard float thing; some are even throwing baubles to passersby.  There are several floats devoted to Dolly Parton and she sent 70 lbs of swag to give out.  Some people even hired float artists to do their displays; this may continue next year and beyond..

Honored Contributor

Many people, especially up and down St Charles and throughout the Garden District and beyond have always decorated elaborately for Mardi Gras.  I imagine this will be just a push further into the decorating and celebrating.  I do not understand how they can cancel everything that brings money into NOLA.  There must have certainly been a way to hold Mardi Gras with social distancing in restaurants and in bars.  Since Katrina, the city has changed considerably but the one thing it always had that was an attractant was the French Quarter and Mardi Gras and even that has changed somewhat since Katrina.  We like to go to New Orleans at least annually but it has certainly been different.

Honored Contributor

Saw that on the news this a.m.  If you think about it, we as a people, are pretty resilent.  We have figured out what to do, to keep ourselves busy, be creative, and if lucky have kept well.  

Respected Contributor

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mardi-gras-2021-new-orleans-covid-restrictions/

Some pictures of Yardi Gras in this CBS news report