Honored Contributor

Re: Yard work on New Year's Day? What are your thoughts?

@shy bobcat wrote:

This is the last warm day before freezing temps in my area.  I would like to mow the lawn but worry I may frustrate my neighbors because it's a holiday. I don't want to interrupt any gatherings that may be going on.   What do you think?

@shy bobcat 

I would look into whether it would stress the grass to mow now. It may need all its strength to get through the winter without being cut.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

@PhilaLady1 wrote:

I say go ahead and mow.  I can't even imagine what it is like to do yard work in January.  That does not start around here until mid to late April. 😀

@PhilaLady1 

My grass guy showed up to mow today - our temps have been in the lower 80s and the grass just keeps growing.  When I look out the patio door, I see my hibiscus covered in blooms.  They love these milder temps; no blooms in the hottest summer months.  This is the most enjoyable  time of year around here to do yard work.  Once summer heat & humidity sets in, I stay inside.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

It's a Saturday.  It's not like it's a day of mourning or something.

If you need to do yard work, do yard work.  If you want to go to Target, go to Target.

I am so sick of holidays and the overblown perceived importance of them. Mow the lawn if you need to.  I would have given no thought to this. 

@gidgetgh 

You made me giggle!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

I don't do things like that on a holiday.  I was brought up where you don't even mow on a Sunday.  I do but if I try and do that on a Saturday or when I get off work.  My husband will tease me and say if your mom was alive you wouldn't be mowing today.  Lol

Where I'm at it is snow country and getting hit today. Snow blowing allowed on a holiday.   Lol

Esteemed Contributor

@shy bobcat 

My thoughts? I couldn't give a ---- less about my neighbors, even if we all did not live on an acreage. That's what I think of the 2 closest homes to ours. But!!!

It my area it is snowing and a -14° Wind Chill. Needless to say!

hckynut 🥅🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I would've done it.  (Hope you did.)

Nothing like a well kept lawn--something neighbors should appreciate.

Our mower is battery operated as is the edger--so you can barely hear them.  But it's not like you're using a chain saw--right?

Trusted Contributor

What in the world would your neighbors be doing on New Years Day that would be disturbed by mowing your lawn? Everyone I know is inside watching football or at a football game.