Respected Contributor

On this link I heard Laurel. On others I heard Yanny. OY!

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

I have heard this many times. In it’s normal state I hear Yanny. On my local radio station they played it different ways, I heard Yanny on some and Laurel on others. On the radio they were talking about how your brain processes the audio which determines what you think you hear.

Honored Contributor

Neither my husband or I ever heard laurel.  We listened many times.  They say it has something to do with the device you listen on, but I don't know if that is a myth. Or not

Respected Contributor

Could someone Please explain what this all about ?? I heard it on Ellen Digeneres Show Today, and I don't get what in the world this is all about.

Respected Contributor

@BeccaLou From NYT ,

"The internet erupted in disagreement on Tuesday over an audio clip in which the name being said depends on the listener. Some hear “Laurel.” Others hear “Yanny.”

We built a tool to gradually accentuate different frequencies in the original audio clip. Which word or name do you hear, and how far do you have to move the slider to hear the other? (The slider’s center point represents the original recording.)"

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/16/upshot/audio-clip-yanny-laurel-debate.html 

Trusted Contributor

I hear Yanny each and every time.  The first two times my husband listened, he heard Laurel, and couldn't understand how I could hear Yanny.  Then, later in the day, all he could hear was Yanny.  Too weird...

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Trusted Contributor

Re: Yanny Vs. Laurel

[ Edited ]

I'm in the Yanny camp regardless of what device I hear it on. Saw a few things this morning that said that if you can hear higher frequencies, you'll hear Yanny even though the word is actually Laurel.  If you can't hear the higher frequencies, you'll hear Laurel.

I find this stuff very interesting Smiley Surprised

Honored Contributor

yanny.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Highlighted
Contributor

@skuggles wrote:

@BeccaLou From NYT ,

"The internet erupted in disagreement on Tuesday over an audio clip in which the name being said depends on the listener. Some hear “Laurel.” Others hear “Yanny.”

We built a tool to gradually accentuate different frequencies in the original audio clip. Which word or name do you hear, and how far do you have to move the slider to hear the other? (The slider’s center point represents the original recording.)"

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/16/upshot/audio-clip-yanny-laurel-debate.html 

Now I understand! thanks 4 that link w the slider!

Respected Contributor

I wonder why anyone cares about this lol. It was all over social media this week.