Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@ItsME wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel  .... it goes the other way too.... My father often fell soundly asleep on the couch in the evenings, snoring and all.  But if anyone said that he was sleeping, he'd wake immediately and deny it.  One evening I wanted to borrow his car, but he was asleep.  I discussed my not wanting to take it without his permission, and not wanting to wake him, with my mother, who was sitting on the same couch.  We were speaking at a normal conversational volume.  Then I had a brainstorm... I WHISPERED "He's sleeping."  He woke up right on cue and said "I'm awake."  I said "Okay, can I borrow your car?"  Goal achieved without the guilt of waking him!

@ItsME  LoL!!  My dad was the same way. 

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Respected Contributor

@dex wrote:

@ItsMEmy DH heard laurel and I heard yanny.He is hard of hearing and always mixes up what I say.I guess there is proof now that we all hear differently.

@dex .... Yes.  And a reminder to be patient with others who hear differently, and ASK what they hear, rather than assuming they are  hearing what we say. My mother is VERY hard of hearing, even with her hearing aids, and it can be trying.  But patience is important.

Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

I heard Laurel. My husband heard Yanny. I don't understand how anyone could think it was Yanrny.

We listened several times, each time he INSIStED he heard Yanny? I don't understand how he heard that.

I mean, when we went to bed, I was laying there wondering how he did his job if his hearing was so screwed up.

@happycat  Maybe it's your hearing that is so screwed up.

There is no right or wrong in this issue.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@ItsME I know patience is important but I a having a problem keeping it in stock.I admit that sometimes I yell what I am saying because I get tired of repeating...then my DH yells back,”why are you yelling at me”.LOL and so the day goes.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@happycat wrote:

I heard Laurel. My husband heard Yanny. I don't understand how anyone could think it was Yanrny.

We listened several times, each time he INSIStED he heard Yanny? I don't understand how he heard that.

I mean, when we went to bed, I was laying there wondering how he did his job if his hearing was so screwed up.

@happycat  Maybe it's your hearing that is so screwed up.

There is no right or wrong in this issue.

It's like that dress color mystery from last year.  Was the dress blue and black or gold and white?  But man people saw what they saw and refused to accept that others saw things differently.

It's funny to me how adamant and upset some people get over something like this.   

Respected Contributor

Re: Yanny Vs. Laurel

[ Edited ]

The first time I listened to it (on my phone speaker), I only heard a deep, male voice saying "Laurel" over and over again.

I played a different recording (from a different link) on my iPad speaker and heard a slightly higher-pitched male voice saying "Yanny" over and over again.  I thought the 2 links had different recordings, so I went back to my original link and played it (still on my iPad speaker) and still heard Yanny.  I went back to my phone and played it and heard the deeper voice saying "Laurel." 

So then I thought it was a difference between how my phone and iPad sound was set up.  But this morning on my phone I played the original link and heard "Yanny" instead.  I still think it's changing randomly Smiley Tongue  I do know the actual recording was of a man's voice saying "Laurel," and allegedly the "Yanny" sound is caused by distortion after re-recording a recording of the original clip.

Respected Contributor

@dex wrote:

@ItsME I know patience is important but I a having a problem keeping it in stock.I admit that sometimes I yell what I am saying because I get tired of repeating...then my DH yells back,”why are you yelling at me”.LOL and so the day goes.

@dex  I understand.  It's really difficult.  I hope they'll have a better solution by the time my hearing gets that bad... and I assume it will, because both of my parents had/have the problem.

Respected Contributor

It would be interesting to know what we hear if we weren’t primed to select one of those two choices. 

Honored Contributor

yanny

Esteemed Contributor

I've heard it several times over the last few days and every time it is Yanny.  It's so clear to me that I can't imagine thinking I hear Laurel.