Honored Contributor

Re: 😠 Yahoo & AOL has the right to....... 😠

Yes, I had put off "agreeing" to this for several days, but each time I logged into my Yahoo account, it came up.  Sooner or later, anyone who uses these providers will have to agree or go elsewhere.

I admit I was stunned by the fact that they demand access to your photos in addition to your emails.  (They've been scanning everyone's emails for forever.)

I only use my Yahoo account with five of very close friends and it's beyond appalling that they are making this change.  I'd hate to have to change my personal email address at this point, but I may have to.

There are apps I won't even download or update on my smartphone, because they require the same kind of access to everything; much of which the particular apps should have no need of - other than to spy on users.

Honored Contributor

I have a good friend who refuses to use the Internet. It's a pain when you send out a group e-mail and you have to call her, but maybe she's the smart one after all? I can't believe this is happening. Big Brother is definitely watching, and I think he lives across the world! Smiley Mad

Honored Contributor

have been using AOL since i first began on the internet. i do have multiple email addresses for different purposes and they are all not on aol. i have not yet received this message, but i will not be surprised if i do in the near future.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In all the years I've ever been online I have never had Yahoo or AOL.  Never had any internet service with AOL. My search engine was always google,I think my husband still has Yahoo as his home page.  I'm assuming from this post that AOL is still around.  I thought they folded years ago.   

When I first started on a computer, I had free high speed internet from where I worked, a university.  When i first stared working there in the 90's, it was switching away from phone line service.  It was one of the perks working for a university.

Esteemed Contributor

I started getting that notice today, I keep clicking on I'll do this later. I don't know what the heck to do. I kept my sbcglobal address, never made the switch to a yahoo address but it's all the same. I don't know what the heck to do.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Does this mean they read yahoo message groups too?  And if you use a yahoo message group, does one have to use a yahoo email?  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The privacy law of 2014, was overturned last year and was effective this past Feb.  eventually we will be charged Fees.  They have the right to glean all our info now.  They sell ot as well.  It is not just AOL and yahoo, it is the entire internet. It is the worst law passed in uears.  It is anti consumer, pro business.

eta, edited for spelling.  Geesh..

Esteemed Contributor

I am boring mostly.  So read away AOL world.  I don't use Yahoo.  

Honored Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

Does this mean they read yahoo message groups too?  And if you use a yahoo message group, does one have to use a yahoo email?  

They do this on all the internet.  It isn't just Yahoo! All They have the right to glean and sell your info.  Your web address, your shopping habits, political bent, address and phone number, etc.   They glean who you talk to, where you shop, what you spend, then they can sell the info, or use it for their own marketing purposes.

Honored Contributor

@skuggles wrote:

In the very early days of email, there was constant admonition to consider it a public bulletin board, and use it for nothing that you would not want the world to know. After all, it was just a code away from being trespassed upon if you thought about it as your intellectual property. Text messaging soon joined the ranks of "public bulletin board"fodder. When did everyone let their guard down and how could they miss this and be so trusting?

@skuggles

ITA ......  ANYTHING you put on the internet is "out there" forever.  Simple concept.   No exceptions.  

I really think it has less to do with being too trusting and more about making incorrect assumptions .... and also more about not reading the Terms of Use when joining something, anything, on the internet.    

I seriously doubt that most people would sign a legal contract without reading it, but when it comes to message boards, social media and the like, people think they don't need to famiiarize themselves with the "terms" stated.

They sign up for facebook, and don't pay a monthly fee .... and seem to ignore the concept that FB has to make their money somehow .....   if you joined, they told you what they'll do with your information.  If you didn't read their "legal contract" it's not FB's fault .... it's your fault.

People think things are private if no one is standing behind them, watching their screen.   Many people also think if they go online at work, it's a betrayal if management reads their activity.  It's the employer's computer .... and if you are on company time, why would you expect any privacy?    boggles the mind ....

I'll get off my soapbox now .....  just find the whole "feeling betrayed" thing to be .... um ....  a little stupid.  JMO