Respected Contributor

Re: YIKES it's windy out there!!!

Pittsburgh region here.  It was beautiful when I woke up to a sunshine filled sky at 8 am.  Breathed a sign of relief thinking the weather forecast folks had got the forecast wrong.  They said last evening the winds were supposed to have started much earlier.  Shoot...temperature jumped to 57 and now the sky is gray and the winds are starting to gust.  

I hear a siren going off in the distance and which will be probably be the norm for today.

I will be in the basement in a couple of hours.  Do high winds scare me because of power outages, etc.?   No, I rather like windy days.  Do high winds scare me because I live in the middle of the woods, oh yes.  I told DH nonchalantly sitting in his recliner (which by the way is backed by a wall of windows) this may be the day a tree hits the house.

Respected Contributor

South Central PA here.  Wind to come through here between 1 pm & 2 pm.  So far, all is quiet.  Went out to feed the birds, as I doubt they will be able to come in to feed with gusts to 60 mph.

We are very wet here, from 6" of sleet and snow earlier in the week, and about 1/2" of rain last night.  Hoping for no trees coming down...  Smiley Sad

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Esteemed Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

So where do you live Nataliesgramma?  No wind here - it's a beautiful sunny day, about 70 degrees and much welcome after a week of rain, with another week of rain coming soon. Sad because we're in the middle of Mardi Gras.  I'm about 45 minutes north of New Orleans.

Ohio...

Esteemed Contributor

@hayseed00 wrote:

@Nataliesgramma   I live in Western NY, and we are suppose to have possible 75 mph. gusts today and Monday.  I took down all my solar lights I had hanging on our deck.  Hope our roof and trees hold out.  Makes me wonder how the poor little birds and animals in the woods get through the bad winds.

@hayseed00 

I live in NJ, (GWB area) on top of a normally windy hill. 50 mph is normal here ,that said I am scared to death waiting for those winds they are predicting for us to arrive.I have secured everything I can. ...

My poor birdies that I feed  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

I just got my power back here in Georgia. It's been howling all morning!
Trusted Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ   We just experienced some gusts of over 70 MPH, never had anything like this before here.  Hope the shingles are still on !!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@M-Pet wrote:

Very windy in the Chicago area too.  Woke up to many Birch tree branches in our yard.Smiley Mad

Isn't Chicago known as the Windy City?

yes, but I think it has to do with the politicians! LOL not joking

I'm 35 miles sw of Chicago   65 mph wind gusts.

Hopefully it will blow out winter and send in Spring!!!

Trusted Contributor

West Michigan here. Blizzard warnings today with hellacious winds. Power has only blinked off once (knock on wood). Can’t see across the street with the blowing snow. We are trying to hurry and get dinner finished before it may go out again. 

Respected Contributor

Northern California here. There are flood warnings with rain for most of the week. Usually the fronts move west to east. I have sandbags by my french doors on the deck to prevent seepage into the house.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mary Bailey you are right about the windy city being named for our windy politicians.  There are about 16 people running for Mayor now that Rahm Emmanuel isn't running again. Veeeery wiiindy.😏

Trees are the lungs of the Earth