Honored Contributor

Re: YET ANOTHER MASS SHOOTING! SAN JOSE, CALIFORNIA

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624,

I just flew on SW and they do not sell alcoholic drinks on the plane anymore and they don't allow anyone to have any drinks of their own (though the latter has always been true).

They probably put this in action because there have been so many problems with passengers. On all airlines.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

@Sweetbay magnolia 

Because I'm a woman, smaller and weaker than an average man, and because, even if I were a man, I could find myself outnumbered. Then again, I could come upon a situation where someone, like that elderly Asian woman, was being attacked. 

The short answer, in defense of myself and others.

But that's assuming they don't get the drop on you and shoot you first. It's not like you are the only one with a gun. The big strong man is probably going to have a gun as well. And if you are outnumbered, most certainly at least one of your attackers will have a gun.

If lots and lots of people are all armed, including all the criminals, you will have to shoot first before they shoot you. And if they see your gun they will certainly shoot you right away.

I don't understand why a certain kind of gun owner says they need to be armed at all times because all the bad guys are, but then in their self-rescue-with-a-gun scenarios, the criminal bad guys never have guns and never shoot them.

If you get in a gun battle bullets will be coming at you as well.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@Grand Happy wrote:
I sure hope no one says the coward was mentally disturb. He had it together to set his home on fire to destroy evidence.

@Grand Happy @He does have a severe mental disorder. This doesn't make it right to kill people but it does explain severe problems with behavior and judgement. Just because a person is mentally ill does not make it impossible for the person to plan or to destroy evidence. Destroying evidence is more often used in court when determining if a defendant is insane, which is a legal term. A person can be severely mentally ill but not considered insane in the eyes of the court. 

@Mindy DI must disagree.  There are many people who are diagnosed with the same illness who don't go shoot up their workplaces.  Also consider he was well enough to move up the ranks in his place of work.  That means he was given extra responsibility; or had less (as a supervisor).  Either way, his illness didn't keep him from doing that.

I am a firm believer that every time something like this happens that good old standby "he was mentally ill" kicks in.  It's wrong to do this for several reasons:  It gives those who are working hard with their mental health struggles a bad rap (because they don't see a need for killing and shooting people) especially those who had done him no harm.  Secondly, sometimes people are just mean as part of their personality make up.

You have no way of knowing if this man's mental troubles caused him to act out this way.  I don't know either.  We could wait and see.  My money is on ~ him being angry at the woman in his life and taking it out on everyone else around him.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

I personally do not know anyone who has been shot, much less killed. Do you?

I do personally know people who have been permanently hurt and someone who was killed in traffic accidents.

@occasionalrain In case you haven't been paying attention over the past several years, cars and trucks have been used as weapons.  Don't compare auto accidents to the drivers who choose to use them instead of guns.

Maybe she lives somewhere without any traffic laws or drivers' licenses.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

I do personally know people who have been permanently hurt and someone who was killed in traffic accidents.

@occasionalrain In case you haven't been paying attention over the past several years, cars and trucks have been used as weapons.  Don't compare auto accidents to the drivers who choose to use them instead of guns.

People are harmed and killed through gun accidents too.

Safety is an illusion. We don't live in a safe world and nothing can make it safe.

We are at risk of disease, natural disasters, inattentive and drunk drivers, road rage, fires, along with guns, knives, bombs, war, and out of control people.

Some of us cherish our right to defend ourselves, our families, and our homes. My forebears fought and died to give me that right.

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

@RoughDraft wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

People are harmed and killed through gun accidents too.

Safety is an illusion. We don't live in a safe world and nothing can make it safe.

We are at risk of disease, natural disasters, inattentive and drunk drivers, road rage, fires, along with guns, knives, bombs, war, and out of control people.

Some of us cherish our right to defend ourselves, our families, and our homes. My forebears fought and died to give me that right.

Dismal percentage compared to other ways people are hurt, maimed and killed across this country.  This, I consider a good thing.  Any reputable source with stats will prove this. 

Regular Contributor

People just can't or won't get along for numerous reasons. The last year or so has done nothing to help with the daily examples of people snapping or just releasing frustrations and rage and hate. I've stopped trying to figure out people.

Frequent Contributor

So far this year there have been 232 mass shootings.  We do not hear about most of them nationally.  What chagfes ?  Not a thing.  The love of guns will be the death of us all.  Now ANYONE can open carry in Texas, no need for permits or training.  If we didn't learn when the Sandy Hook 1st Graders had their heads shot off we will never stop this madness.

Thoughts and prayers don't work

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

@occasionalrain,  sadly  a resounding YES.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@Kachina624,

I just flew on SW and they don not sell alcohoic drinks on the plane anymore and they don't allow anyone to have any drinks of their own (though the latter has always been true).

They probably put this in action because there have been so many problems with passengers. On all airlines.

Speaking of unrul flights......the beat goes on!

DALLAS (AP) — San Diego authorities charged a 28-year-old woman with felony battery after an attack on a Southwest Airlines plane in which a flight attendant lost two teeth and suffered other injuries to her face.

The incident marked an escalation in unruly behavior by airline passengers and led the president of the flight attendants' union to ask for more federal air marshals on planes.

“Unfortunately, this is just one of many occurrences,” said the union president, Lyn Montgomery. She said there were 477 incidents of “misconduct” by passengers on Southwest planes between April 8 and May 15.

The incident happened during a flight from Sacramento to San Diego on Sunday morning. San Diego Harbor Police said Tuesday that they arrested Vyvianna Quinonez, and charged her with battery causing serious bodily injury. The Sacramento Bee reported that Quinonez lives in the Sacramento suburb of Antelope.

“The passenger repeatedly ignored standard inflight instructions and became verbally and physically abusive upon landing,” said Southwest spokesman Chris Mainz.

The flight attendant was not identified. Paramedics took her to a hospital for treatment, and she was later released. Southwest flew a friend to San Diego to be with her.

Source: Associated Press