Respected Contributor

Re: YET ANOTHER MASS SHOOTING! SAN JOSE, CALIFORNIA

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@Mersha wrote:

Sadly, it is another day in America.

Mental health is always thrown around in these instances.  Other countries in the world surely have their share of mental illness and yet these shootings/mass shootings seem to occur primarily in our country.

I wonder why?

@Mersha Possibly because they are taught to respect other individuals and have laws and consequences that we seem to ignore.  Maybe in other countries it isn't a ME ME ME world?

Never mind.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

If we can't get rid of guns or shootings, how do we opt out if we don't want to get shot?

I'm for people having the freedom to get shot if that's your thing, or not get shot if you don't want a bullet entering your body.

Maybe the solution is to put a lot more work into developing lightweight comfortable armor.

If you look at the history of weapons, every time there was a new weapons technology, armor was improved to protect the soldier. I think we civilians deserve the same protection. At least develop it for children.

Those of us who are in the line of fire, which would be almost everyone I guess, should have access to really good armour to protect ourselves from all those guns in the hands of people we don't know.

Anyone can have a bad day. So you never know who might snap and use their gun. Also, mistakes and misfires do happen quite a lot. People are clumsy. If you were wearing armor, those deadly mistakes that can never be taken back would not be a concern.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@Porcelain  I think we need a Constitutional Amendment stating that we, as citizens, have the right not to be shot by lunatics.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

@Porcelain  I think we need a Constitutional Amendment stating that we, as citizens, have the right not to be shot by lunatics.

The Bill of Rights does state that we all have the "Unalienable Right" to "Life" as endowed by our Creator.

Maybe we need to take that more literally and seriously as individuals. Food for thought. Interesting topic. And pleasantly civilized.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Valued Contributor

These discussions are usually pretty much the same.  People have their position and there really isn't any room for dialogue.  

What I always wonder for those who believe that more strict gun laws would end mass shooting is:

Do you know the gun laws in your state

Are there gun laws existing in another state that you believe would make your state safer

Do you take any action to create change, work toward new laws for your area

Are you waiting for someone else to do something

Not really asking for answers from anyone but time and again I wonder if the people who are so passionate about this issue engage or just share their viewpoint

libby's folly
Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMacdon't forget the one in Newark!

Sunday, May 9

Colorado Springs, Colorado

A man opened fire at a birthday party in a mobile home park on the east side of Colorado Springs shortly after midnight, slaying six adults before killing himself. Children at the scene were unharmed, police said.

Newark, New Jersey

Two men and two women were shot on a street in Newark on Sunday afternoon, Newark police said. All four were reported to be in stable condition.

Phoenix

A group of people attending an event at a Phoenix hotel got into an argument that led to gunfire. Police didn't say what prompted the argument. One man was killed and seven others were wounded in the shooting, the Arizona Republic reported.

Philadelphia

A shooting in the Olney neighborhood on Sunday afternoon left two people dead — a 17-year-old male and a 23-year-old-male — and injured three others, The Philadelphia Inquirer reported, citing police

Citrus Heights, California

Four people were struck by gunfire after fights broke out at a bar in Citrus Heights, a city in Sacramento County, according to The Sacramento Bee.

Saturday, May 8

Oakland, California

Someone fired shots at a group socializing at a lagoon in Oakland, injuring four people. Bullets also struck nearby buildings and parked cars, according to the East Bay Times.

Detroit

Four people were shot in an alley behind a building early Saturday morning. Their injuries were non-life threatening.

Compton, California

Compton Sheriff's deputies heard shots fired and found two gunshot victims on Saturday. They were both pronounced dead at the scene. Soon after, deputies learned that two other gunshot victims had been taken to a hospital, one in critical condition.

Woodlawn, Maryland

A man set his home on fire, forced his way into his neighbor's home, and shot and stabbed them, police said. He also allegedly shot two more neighbors as they came out of their home in the attack that took place just outside Baltimore. The attack claimed three victims, and the suspect also died after he was shot at by police.

Milwaukee

Four people were injured in a shooting Saturday afternoon. The victim ranged in ages from 23 to 45. They are expected to survive. Police have arrested two men in connection with the shooting.

Friday, May 7

St. Louis

Two people were killed and three others injured in a shooting at a park Friday night, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@persiflage wrote:

These discussions are usually pretty much the same.  People have their position and there really isn't any room for dialogue.  

What I always wonder for those who believe that more strict gun laws would end mass shooting is:

Do you know the gun laws in your state

Are there gun laws existing in another state that you believe would make your state safer

Do you take any action to create change, work toward new laws for your area

Are you waiting for someone else to do something

Not really asking for answers from anyone but time and again I wonder if the people who are so passionate about this issue engage or just share their viewpoint

We, The People Don't count when it comes to this.  It's the $$$ Lobby.  We, The People are sold out at every corner for what we believe will be those that will represent our interests.  We The People are not as powerful as the big interest groups. @persiflage .  If you didn't know it; it's time you learn they people really don't have a lot to do with a thing.  Big $$$ does.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

Sad,scary, any of us are at risk ,in our country.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

In my state (VA) you can conceal carry and go into a bar but you can not drink.  If the weapon is concealed, how do we know if you can or can not drink?

I don't understand.

Similar to signs  saying no mask required if you are  totally vaccinated.....but they do not require any proof you are.... 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I've heard of a few shootings at parties and other gatherings like concerts, ballgames, family reunions and bars--where anger, alcohol and drugs are the catalysts.

Summer time, warm weather, people imbibe and tempers flare.  It's summertime. 

Then there are always disgruntled employees--which is so scary to me. 

@Sooner    The airlines have been loudly complaining about violent in-air incidents, especially against flight attendants, often by people who've apparently had too much to drink.  Yet it hasn't occurred to them to forego the money they make from liquor sales and discontinue it.  I guess the problem hasn't become serious enough to warrant this drastic step even if a few of their employees get beat up. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment