Honored Contributor

Re: YET ANOTHER MASS SHOOTING! SAN JOSE, CALIFORNIA

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I hardly find it surprising at all... states are making having a gun easier and easier all the time.....

19 states (Alaska, Arizona, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, West Virginia, and Wyoming) now allow the carrying of concealed weapons without a permit,

Have there been alot of crimes committed with guns or mass shootings in those states? Just curious. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree with @hckynut .  Growing up, my dad and brother were gun freaks and there were guns all over our house and noone ever was harmed by one.  I don't advocate that and I don't own one now, am just saying stop punishing law-abiding citizens with more gun restrictions that don't work.  Criminals will get their hands on them regardless of any laws.  The answer is stiffer prison sentences for these criminals, not more gun laws.

Respected Contributor

In all of the mass shootings that this country has endured over the last 5 years, has there been a person in the vicinity carrying a gun who has had an opportunity to neutralize the shooter and save lives?

If anyone knows of a case like this, please advise as I cannot recall that happening.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Respected Contributor

@KKJ wrote:

I agree with @hckynut .  Growing up, my dad and brother were gun freaks and there were guns all over our house and noone ever was harmed by one.  I don't advocate that and I don't own one now, am just saying stop punishing law-abiding citizens with more gun restrictions that don't work.  Criminals will get their hands on them regardless of any laws.  The answer is stiffer prison sentences for these criminals, not more gun laws.

@KKJ   Like you, I grew up in a house with gun fans also.  In fact, my mother insisted on carrying her gun with her wherever she went, even when advancing in years.  I spent so much time trying to explain that if the situation arose where she thought she needed to use it, it would be so shocking and stressful that she would not be able to respond appropriately.  It could be taken and used to harm her.

In any event, how do stricter gun laws take anything away from law abiding citizens?  If stricter laws could keep guns away from those suffering mental illness and save lives, what is the problem?

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mersha That's just it, stricter gun laws DON'T keep them out of the hands of the mentally ill and criminals.   It's just like the old saying---Outlaw guns and ONLY the outlaws will have guns!