Honored Contributor

Re: XYLITOL low calorie sweetener linked to increased strokes and heart attacks

@goldensrbest wrote:

I saw this on nbc, nightly news last night. I have toothpaste, throwing it away.

This sweetner occurs naturally in many fruits and vegetable and is produced by the human body.

It's impossible to avoid it....

Respected Contributor

I would think the amounts used in toothpaste, candy, etc. is much larger than the body could produce naturally.

Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

In all news today-xylitol which is often used in gum, toothpaste, food items may be linked to nearly TWICE the amount of strokes, heart attacks, and deaths.

Why are such toxic, dangerous things continually allowed in things we eat and use. It's really crazy!

@on the bay 

I suspect it's because clinical trials can't possibly detect everything before it's approved and goes out to market.

Example:   

A clinical trial is done, testing a drug on 10,000 people through the usual means.  Certain sensitivites, allergies and reactions are bound to be detectived and reported.

However, there could still be rare reactions that aren't detected, perhaps because it's a one in a half million occurance.   

Statistically, not enough people were in on the trials to bring out every possible reaction.  A once in a half million likelihood reaction won't be in the findings for the 10,000 originally tested.

Boy, it's late and I hope this makes sense!  lol

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

1.  Because we have been conditioned to believe that low calorie means its good for us.  In other words  mind control.

2.  Drug companies spends millions upon millions advertising that low calorie is the way to go and they make gazillions because of it.

3.  Drug companies have enormous lobbyists influence.

4.  Food companies continue to use it.

5.  Dont kill the cash cow.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44,

That all may be true in the beginning but I think that food manufacturerers have known for years what is toxic, cancer causing etc and do not remove it until the public boycots, or makes it so known that they have to pull it from the market.Even laundry detergents pulled as of Feb 2024 (of course after finding problems that probably were always known)

I think the answer is the money and lobbyists that keep dangerous things out there that we eat and use.

Just like so many drug ads that make it seem like you can be happily dancing through the tulips-oh but one small side effect may be stroke, heart attack, or death. I mean it's the twilight zone!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Again, web search the various European research / associations / etc.

Look up various brand and/or generic medications and/or over the counter products to find whether or not they have been banned, restricted, etc.

I've found this to be helpful for other folks during the past many years. 

Solved a few 'mystery' problems they were having at the time.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

1.  Because we have been conditioned to believe that low calorie means its good for us.  In other words  mind control.

2.  Drug companies spends millions upon millions advertising that low calorie is the way to go and they make gazillions because of it.

3.  Drug companies have enormous lobbyists influence.

4.  Food companies continue to use it.

5.  Dont kill the cash cow.

@Imaoldhippie 

I've never gotten the idea that #1 is true, nor is it "mind control".

I drink zero calorie beverages for one reason ... a diet consideration ..... "Don't drink your calories".   

Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@Tinkrbl44,

That all may be true in the beginning but I think that food manufacturerers have known for years what is toxic, cancer causing etc and do not remove it until the public boycots, or makes it so known that they have to pull it from the market.Even laundry detergents pulled as of Feb 2024 (of course after finding problems that probably were always known)

I think the answer is the money and lobbyists that keep dangerous things out there that we eat and use.

Just like so many drug ads that make it seem like you can be happily dancing through the tulips-oh but one small side effect may be stroke, heart attack, or death. I mean it's the twilight zone!

@on the bay 

I agree, but we humans have such a wide variety of allergies and sensitivities.

Perfect example:   Many of us eat peanut butter with no side effects, but others can have VERY serious reactions ... or even die.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 ...................It goes without saying that large amounts of sugar is not good either.  But the  low calorie has chemicals that are worse.  The public is constantly bombarded with supposed healthy alternatives.

It is my opinon #1 is true.

Example, for years and years the health profession as told people to drink decaf coffee, now they have come out and said that it is worse than regular coffee.  Coffee is decafinated by washing the coffee bean in a clearning chemical.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)