Valued Contributor

Re: Wrongful death suit...really?

[ Edited ]

I, too think filing a lawsuit right now is unneccesary,

First off, when the NTSB investigates these accidents they go over very detail before coming to some kind of conclusion as to "cause". In my hometown a small Cessan airplane crashed with 5 executives on board who had rented it (pilot came from rental company) and it took OVER a year to figure out what happened that made it crash.

This is a high profile case and I am sure getting lots of investigative work done.

Sso when she hires lawyers, arent; they trying to supercede exactly what the NTSB is doing? Or have the lawyers thrown it out there that they can do a better job of finding cause than the NTSB?

Early in, I read about the flight system lacking some technical aspect. But yet Mr Bryant felt comfortable flying with this pilot in this aircraft anyway, as he had done before. So think about it for a minute. If you knew you were hiring someone to take you somewhere, let's say you hired a limo driver, who had 2 DUIs in the past on his record, and his limo was supposed to go in for some kind of safety check which they neglected to do, woud you take the ride anyway (and the risk) or look elsewhere?

As for "she has a right to sue", sure she does, But to what end? Again, if it is found to be pilot error, are you suing the company because they allowed him to fly in their aircraft? If you hire an ex-con who has done his time and has a right to now find employment and go on with their life, and the ex-con robs you at work one day, do you sue the company for hiring him? Because companies can't discriminate against that anymore. 

Anyway, I find the timing of this just wrong. And I don't think anytime someone dies it's someone else's fault, In this case it was probably bad decisions made by all onboard and because none of them are around to tell us why they took the flight in foggy weather, all we can do is guess. 

Honored Contributor

@colover wrote:

Nothing would have prevented this accident. It was Kobe's time to go as well as the other 8 people. For you of faith, remember He knows the moment of our birth, the day of our death. Sure it was a tragic accident like millions of people killed in any accident and how the best people are struck with a terminal illness. It's life. It's not fair.

So if we followed this fatalist view we could do any dangerous thing such as stand on a busy highway and if it is not our time to go we are safe!!   And that shoots any free will we are supposed to have!!

Valued Contributor

@Pook wrote:

@colover wrote:

Nothing would have prevented this accident. It was Kobe's time to go as well as the other 8 people. For you of faith, remember He knows the moment of our birth, the day of our death. Sure it was a tragic accident like millions of people killed in any accident and how the best people are struck with a terminal illness. It's life. It's not fair.

So if we followed this fatalist view we could do any dangerous thing such as stand on a busy highway and if it is not our time to go we are safe!!   And that shoots any free will we are supposed to have!!

Absolutely! And you used your free will to go stand on the busy highway. 

The most careful person in the world, eats right, exercises, uses common sense in all activities, doesn't take risks, goes out for a morning jog in the park and randomly gets shot by a criminal. Free will made all those choices but fate put him/her in that place at that time.  A few years ago that happened to an employee of our town's Mayor and it was indeed tragic,

Contributor

It is quick but how much will she really have to do when it comes to the lawsuit? With her resources I am sure she has top notch attorneys who specialize in this field and know the system and how the NTSB works.  I honestly don't think this is about the money but rather about accountability.                

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

@ceejay  ..... Interesting. The NTSB does not expect to have any conclusions until the first of next year. Considering it has not been a month since his death (almost a month, the 26th) and myself having dealt with the loss of a spouse (though not under these circumstances) I am just surprised that having lost her husband and daughter she is ready to add this type of additional stress. I guess we all handle death differently and may not need as much time to adjust to the loss in order to move forward. Of course filing now with public opinion as it is could make it easier for an out of court settlement. 

Esteemed Contributor

Tragic accident, all accidents that end in death are.  And there is always a reason something happens.  I really wonder if at this point suing is the right thing to do.  The company is out of business and the owners did not fly the plane. I don't see anything that will be made better by pursuing this.  He was a great guy, a great athlete.  He was a role model.  I would just let it stand in positives in his memory. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The NTSB investigates transporation accidents and makes safety recommendations going forward. The aircraft did not have the necessary federal certification for its pilots to fly with instruments, there is no need to wait for the NTSB final report.  

As to speculation that his wife must have "adjusted to her loss" faster than others who have gone through tragedy - perhaps this lawsuit is a small step towards that - knowing this company won't put another family through this.

Respected Contributor

When JFK Jr. crashed, I lamented that no one should be allowed to fly unless they are certified by having an instrument rating (IFR) and not just visual training.  Kobe's pilot was rated IFR, but the company was not IFR--Vanessa is right in her lawsuit because of this.  Knowing her character, she will probably donate any funds received.

Esteemed Contributor

@PinkSunset wrote:

I, too think filing a lawsuit right now is unneccesary,

First off, when the NTSB investigates these accidents they go over very detail before coming to some kind of conclusion as to "cause". In my hometown a small Cessan airplane crashed with 5 executives on board who had rented it (pilot came from rental company) and it took OVER a year to figure out what happened that made it crash.

This is a high profile case and I am sure getting lots of investigative work done.

Sso when she hires lawyers, arent; they trying to supercede exactly what the NTSB is doing? Or have the lawyers thrown it out there that they can do a better job of finding cause than the NTSB?

Early in, I read about the flight system lacking some technical aspect. But yet Mr Bryant felt comfortable flying with this pilot in this aircraft anyway, as he had done before. So think about it for a minute. If you knew you were hiring someone to take you somewhere, let's say you hired a limo driver, who had 2 DUIs in the past on his record, and his limo was supposed to go in for some kind of safety check which they neglected to do, woud you take the ride anyway (and the risk) or look elsewhere?

As for "she has a right to sue", sure she does, But to what end? Again, if it is found to be pilot error, are you suing the company because they allowed him to fly in their aircraft? If you hire an ex-con who has done his time and has a right to now find employment and go on with their life, and the ex-con robs you at work one day, do you sue the company for hiring him? Because companies can't discriminate against that anymore. 

Anyway, I find the timing of this just wrong. And I don't think anytime someone dies it's someone else's fault, In this case it was probably bad decisions made by all onboard and because none of them are around to tell us why they took the flight in foggy weather, all we can do is guess. 

Rest assured that the purpose of the lawsuit is accountability NOT to find CAUSE.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

I don't for a minute believe this is a frivolous lawsuit.  There is no way if my husband and/or child was on this plane that I would let this go.  

I'm surprised anyone is surprised that suit was filed.  The pilot is named in the suit for negligence but he is not a defendant.

Honored Contributor

And now we have the timing police chiming in. It's always too soon or too late or why didn't they do something earlier.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr