Respected Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

The reality is that if a nuclear missile is coming your way, there isn’t much you can do except say goodbye.

Of course there is the other scenario in which a button is accidentally  pushed alerting an imminent attack and someone else with an itchy finger and a knee jerk reaction hits the nuclear code that ignites a world war basically. Sorry, I don't want to depend on someone's bad judgement here. Somebody has taken responsibility for the mistake, but what if the acknowledgement was too late? 

@RainCityWoman  perhaps you didn't see the immediate response of Pacific Command (federal military) denying the attack  -  somehow the state's alert system malfunctioned several times: alerting initially and not withdrawing the alert quickly, but the US defense system was on top of it from the very first. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Wrong Button pushed during shift change..false alert sent out to Hawiii about missile strike

Lest anyone get the impression that I am paralyzed or prostrate with fear, I am not.  I've been roaming this planet a lot longer than many here and have looked over the edge many times.  Grew up witnessing the horrible things humans can do to their fellow humans and later being told that hiding under a school desk would save me, but what did save me were the rational minds of proverbial enemies willing to sit down and work things out eventually, for their own sakes as well as ours. 

Today, the only thing I want to stockpile is some of that chocolate vodka I've read about on another thread.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

The reality is that if a nuclear missile is coming your way, there isn’t much you can do except say goodbye.

Of course there is the other scenario in which a button is accidentally  pushed alerting an imminent attack and someone else with an itchy finger and a knee jerk reaction hits the nuclear code that ignites a world war basically. Sorry, I don't want to depend on someone's bad judgement here. Somebody has taken responsibility for the mistake, but what if the acknowledgement was too late? 

If it’s too late, like I said, it’s too late.  Did you ever see On The Beach with Anthony Perkins?

Respected Contributor

Re: Wrong Button pushed during shift change..false alert sent out to Hawiii about missile strike

Thank goodness I get all my news from Twitter.  Then I always know it's not "fake news!"

Respected Contributor

i certainly feel that the governor and the Hi emergency management administrator are trying to be transparent and are clearly taking this seriously.  this apparently falls to human error -  he clicked not once,but also again when asked by the system if he REALLY wanted to send out the alert. 

and now they have to worry that people won't pay attention the next time. what a shame.  

Esteemed Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@RainCityWoman  perhaps you didn't see the immediate response of Pacific Command (federal military) denying the attack  -  somehow the state's alert system malfunctioned several times: alerting initially and not withdrawing the alert quickly, but the US defense system was on top of it from the very first. 

Oh no, I saw it. It's been on all day as far as coverage. I just offered a hypothetical scenario...what if? Something caused a 38 minute delay in informing people, though.

Honored Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

i certainly feel that the governor and the Hi emergency management administrator are trying to be transparent and are clearly taking this seriously.  this apparently falls to human error -  he clicked not once,but also again when asked by the system if he REALLY wanted to send out the alert. 

and now they have to worry that people won't pay attention the next time. what a shame.  

Boy cried wolf.

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

If it’s too late, like I said, it’s too late.  Did you ever see On The Beach with Anthony Perkins?

Yes I did, but it's been a long time. Comtemplating that kind of disaster is not something I want to do, but there are those I don't really trust. There was also that book Failsafe...also a long time ago. I read it, but now I don't remember much of it.

Honored Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Yes I did! Comtemplating that kind of disaster is not something I want to do, but there are those I don't really trust.

@RainCityWoman

I don’t trust them, either.

Respected Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Oh no, I saw it. It's been on all day as far as coverage. I just offered a hypothetical scenario...what if? Something caused a 38 minute delay in informing people, though.

@RainCityWoman   decisions would be made off the military's recommendation, not a state emergency management system.  now, they just explained the 38 minute delay at the press conference-  they stopped messages going out immediately, apparently, but they had to override the system and manually send out the cancellation of the alert message.  as best as i could understand it.  i am sure their look at the system will include a better way to handle this going forward.