Respected Contributor

Re: Wrong Button pushed during shift change..false alert sent out to Hawiii about missile strike

What's the golf term for taking cover?   Oh yeah, "FORE!"

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

Re: Wrong Button pushed during shift change..false alert sent out to Hawiii about missile strike

@RoughDraft wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

I'm hearing a lot of people upset about this and I get it.

But let's look at the bigger picture. Whatever this was, a 'human mistake' or a 'hack', we (they?) now have the chance to see what is lacking in the system and develop and institute change to prevent it from happening again, as well as shore up the system in general as they see there are problems. 

And it gives individuals a chance to see that when something like this seems to be really occurring, just how ready they are or are not to handle such an emergency, and put in place new or more things they feel are necessary. 

We all tend to get a little too lax sometimes when it comes to disaster preparedness, whether it is natural disasters or something like this.

A wake up call if you will.

The only problem is that there have been multiple blatant wake up calls in the recent past and it appears that no one in charge is using an alarm clock!

I too will now sit on my paws.

Well, at the risk of saying too much that might get this closed, I will say people can't wait on government for all of it, especially the federal government. 

Local communities, states, and individuals have to take a serious look at their specific situations and figure out what they can or want to do should something like this actually happen, and learn what to do, how to do it, how to finance it etc. then get busy in implementing what they need to do.

I firmly believe we can't wait for those in charge, but have to take charge of what we can do at an individual or local level if we are ever to get something in place in a timely manner.

For example, after 9/11, we had my son in school aprox 18 miles from our home. We developed some plans should something bad like that happen, and the school personnel didn't or couldn't protect/keep/contain the kids. He was given instructions about where else to go, what route to start walking home and stay on so that we could come and meet him without searching various routes, places along the way he might find help from people we knew, what he should try to have on his person before he started out etc. He was given things to keep in his locker at school that would assist in having the things he needed to strike out for a long walk on foot.

A lot of people call this kind of preparing paranoid, but ask anyone who had to evacuate from the areas around ground zero and you will see that some simple forethought and planning even at the family level is better than waiting on those in charge.

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio with all due respect, this kind of situation is beyond the reach of city, township or state government or planning alternative routes home.  It is something we are totally reliant on the federal government to not only make us aware of danger, but also to prevent/protect us from it.  We're talking possible hacking at the least and real missles being fired at the worst.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

I'm hearing a lot of people upset about this and I get it.

But let's look at the bigger picture. Whatever this was, a 'human mistake' or a 'hack', we (they?) now have the chance to see what is lacking in the system and develop and institute change to prevent it from happening again, as well as shore up the system in general as they see there are problems. 

And it gives individuals a chance to see that when something like this seems to be really occurring, just how ready they are or are not to handle such an emergency, and put in place new or more things they feel are necessary. 

We all tend to get a little too lax sometimes when it comes to disaster preparedness, whether it is natural disasters or something like this.

A wake up call if you will.

@Mominohio

We don't know that "human error" and "hack" are the only 2 possibilities.

*Paws Back Under Butt"

Yes, but that doesn't diminish the whole aspect as to this being a good wake up call to individuals and communities about their plans and preps for something like this actually happening. 

That’s one way to look at it, but.....the other way is,

’..that doesn’t diminish the whole aspect as to this being a good wake up call for the Government about their plans and preps for something like this actually happening.’

Peel back the layers to look at the big picture.

War should never be a concern in our lifetime.

This scare should never be....a scare.

The fact it’s ‘a scare’ is the most important part of this whole thing.

THis just isn't the reality of life, and never has been. War is and always has been a concern, and I don't see the world changing anytime soon. And now we seem to have   added concerns about third parties starting something when neither 'side' has initiated it as well as perhaps some part of one side or the other doing stupid things to make it look like something has/is happening when it isn't.  

So to live in and be as comfortable and sane as possible in that real world, being as prepared as one can for various situations then leaving things in the hands of a higher power is about all we can do. 

We can push for government at various levels to do things, prepare, invest, train, seek peace and all of it, but in reality the first step is to prepare ourselves for what we can, and work our way up through community, state, and beyond. 

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio

"planning even at the family level is better than waiting on those in charge."

i was thinking the same thing when watching video of Hawaiian parents putting young children down storm drain this a.m. sobering to watch - i am sure it was beyond that for the parents themselves.  but clearly they had a plan.  best not to rely on the state, as we saw.

Trusted Contributor

I just heard about one young woman who made a "goodbye" phone call to her mother.  How chilling is that?

Honored Contributor

Good Luck with all the variations on "Duck and Cover" when we're faced with a nuclear holocaust.

Honored Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

@Mominohio with all due respect, this kind of situation is beyond the reach of city, township or state government or planning alternative routes home.  It is something we are totally reliant on the federal government to not only make us aware of danger, but also to prevent/protect us from it.  We're talking possible hacking at the least and real missles being fired at the worst.

We can't think like that or we are paralyzed and feel hopeless.

I do realize that real nuclear missiles incoming is way beyond something like a tornado or even a 9/ll situation. 

But in reality there are things that people do in preparation for nuclear events, and many things that are available to the public as protection or preparation tools. 

But most people don't do that (honestly, we haven't, but I know what is out there, one just has to search the subject if it is something one feels strongly about preparing for). Should I come to the conclusion that a nuclear threat was serious enough, I wouldn't not wait for the government to do something, I'd at least do what I could for myself in advance. 

As for the hacking, no, I don't know what we can do as individuals or on smaller community levels about that, other than to prepare for the worst possible scenario for ourselves and our families should that hacking ( or mistake making) cause an event.

@RoughDraft

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio

I don’t remember the urgent need to ‘be prepared’ in recent year’s past.

Again, it’s a bigger picture problem, not hiding under a desk.

Honored Contributor

You showed the prudent planning of a responsible citizen, @Mominohio after 9/11.  Some things that wouldn't even have occurred to me on my own, unfortunately!  

Of course, there are so many things that are out of our control, but in at least some instances, we can take a role in promoting our safety by having emergency plans in place.  

Awaiting the press conference at 6:00 p.m. Eastern with extreme interest.