Honored Contributor

Re: Wrong Button pushed during shift change..false alert sent out to Hawiii about missile strike

It's horrific to think that a nuclear war could be started by a hacker. 

We'd better get our ducks in a row pronto!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Re: Wrong Button pushed during shift change..false alert sent out to Hawiii about missile strike

Why did it take so long to determine this was NOT an emergency?

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I don't believe that any button was accidentally pushed. A threat of this caliper usually takes more than one person to verify the threat before they actually push a button. I think there was a hack and they don't want us to know how vulnerable we are when it comes to cyber threats.

@SilleeMee LOL. Just read your post after posting mine.  Great minds think alike!

Respected Contributor

FCC has launched an inquiry.  

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

We live on Oahu in Hawaii, which would probably be the target of a more stile attack due to military activity at Pearl Harbor.  Like many here we received the News push notice of the impending attack. We have about 20 minutes, if you that, to take cover.

We really hoped it was a hack, but took the notice seriously.

The words, "This is not a drill." was very frighteningly! We hoped it was just a error, or notice mistake. We have a statewide siren system that did NOT go off, so there was hope. Nothing came up on live local news. Later though, it was reported that a few sirens did go off in a couple neighborhoods. That may or may not be true.

We we called a military friend that is currently in the National Guard. He couldn't tell us otherwise and said he closed up his house and family was hunkering down. We did the same. I was wondering where the heck would everyone go, or be, after said missile hit?

Luckily, it was just a mistake which is a great wake up call for Civil Defense as well as all of us. Now they have the opportunity  to set it up & execute notice correctly, and we can be more aware and prepared. Lot of us have Hurricane emergency provisions already, so some people were prepared. 

Within the 15 minutes we were huddled in our most enclosed bathroom with the cat, water bottles, bananas grabbed off the counter, & the green tea I brewed, I was actually happy I was still at home WITH my DH & Furbaby. We said the "I Love you"s, just in case. 

After the "Mistake" notice came in and we sighed with relief, I looked at my DH and said, 

"Next missile attack, we are grabbing a couple of dark chocolate peppermint Haagen Dazs bars when we stay in here".

Respected Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

What can you say? Someone's stupidity is usually what causes an international event....unfreakingbelievable.

@SahmIam

I have total confidence that we don't have anyone that's stupid at the helm of our country!!!

Honored Contributor

I'm a cynic, but it seems like someone wanted to create a distraction.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

@pinkmomi  love not only your cool, your sense of humor but also your taste in Haagen Dazs.  i want to share a bomb shelter with you!

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

What kind of thing or event could be behind this distraction? What you said makes sense to me.@QVCkitty1

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@QVCkitty1

I was just talking to my BFF...and we said the same thing!

We call it ‘squirrel talk’.

(something crazy in one corner& someone says, ’oh look....a squirrel!’)

Hawaii is just the New Squirrel in Town.