Honored Contributor

Re: Wrong Button pushed during shift change..false alert sent out to Hawiii about missile strike

Crazy!  Someone pushed the wrong button at a shift change???  Wuh?

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

April last year, here in Dallas, the City Siren System went off/on

for about an hour around midnight.  Just several days prior,

the National news of the day was NKorea, etc.  So when you’re

awaken to these eerie sirens in the middle of night, it was extremely

unsettling.   They originally were thinking ‘human error’,  

it later they said it was, indeeded ‘hacked’.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/hacker-set-all-dallas-emergency-sirens-middle-night-city-says-n...

Respected Contributor

Re: Wrong Button pushed during shift change..false alert sent out to Hawiii about missile strike

since we are under threat here in California, i am reminded that i am unaware of any plan here to deal with an attack.

Respected Contributor

kudos to the state worker(unnamed as yet) with the governor who took responsibility for the error in his department.  

Honored Contributor

I just got home a little while ago and have been watching the news coverage.

Sounds like a lot of differing explanations, and getting more complicated as the afternoon goes on.

But my first question would be, why is anyone pushing ANY button if there was no alert sent? (as the U.S. Military attests)  Surely a "shift change button", (if there is such a thing) would not be anywhere near an Alert button.

Sure is starting to sound like a hack.

I wouldn't be feeling all that relieved about this, either within Hawaii or anywhere else.

Honored Contributor

The WH press secretary is stating it was ‘purely a state exercise.’

Wait...what?

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Wait...what?

@sidsmom

I heard on the news that the Military says there was no such exercise.

*Must Sit On Paws*

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Wait...what?

@sidsmom this was the Hawaii system that had the incident. there was no alert from feds like DHS, USPacific Command, etc.

Honored Contributor

I don't believe that any button was accidentally pushed. A threat of this caliper usually takes more than one person to verify the threat before they actually push a button. I think there was a hack and they don't want us to know how vulnerable we are when it comes to cyber threats.

Trusted Contributor

Nonsense.  If this was a wrong button pushed, it wouldn’t have taken 38 minutes to fix it.  This was a hack, and they don’t want to cause even more panic by admitting that their alert system is so vulnerable.