Esteemed Contributor

Re: Wrong Button pushed during shift change..false alert sent out to Hawiii about missile strike

Whoever is responsible should be immediately fired. I cant imagine the terror of the people in Hawaii during this! Also, I come on line  tonight, and the first thing I see is what to do in a nuclear attack. It reminded me of my grade school days with air raids and practicing hiding under desks in case the Russians would come. I remember being terrorized in school. I never thought in 2018 Id see a story on what to do in case of a nuclear attack. The world should be better than this by now! 

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Wrong Button pushed during shift change..false alert sent out to Hawiii about missile strike

It seems odd that a two step process could be a mistake.  The alert had to be followed by a confirmation from what I read.  

Respected Contributor

I do not believe a word of it. Sound like hacking to me.

Frequent Contributor

The one I remember "Until 9:33 a.m. Eastern on February 20, 1971 when lowly civilian teletype operator Wayland S. Eberhard grabbed the wrong tape and stuffed it into the alert system machine".

Trusted Contributor

I know for sure it must have been so frightening for the people. Pure panic. Thinking what is going to happen to them what will happen next. Some of them trying to get back to their families. Must have been such a horrible experience. Uncalled for. A stupid mistake but will never be  forgotten!

Respected Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

It seems odd that a two step process could be a mistake.  The alert had to be followed by a confirmation from what I read.  

YES.  A point not being mentioned much.  Hawaii better regroup and have a better plan in place than this nonsense.  40 minutes to get resolved??  Seriously.......

Respected Contributor

Don't believe the story for a moment.  Have a feeling that someone in that office doesn't like the current Administation and wanted to show Hawaii and the rest of the US what could happen.

Honored Contributor

I heard on the news this morning that the person responsible for pushing the button is receiving death threats now.  If it was me, I would go into hiding and take my family with me.