Esteemed Contributor

Re: Wrong Button pushed during shift change..false alert sent out to Hawiii about missile strike

Didn't something similar happen there about a month and a half ago?

Respected Contributor

Re: Wrong Button pushed during shift change..false alert sent out to Hawiii about missile strike

many were killed in Hiroshima - but others survived.  it is best to know how to survive if you aren't hit directly.  i know how to handle an earthquake - but not so much a nuclear attack.  we need to do better on the topic of civilian preparedness.

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

It was a pre-scheduled alarm beginning December 1

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/28/us/hawaii-nuclear-korea.html

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

Not sure if a false alarm was issued but I remember there was a hightened sense of a missile attack along the west coast

Honored Contributor

Hubby was just commenting that, given their geographical position, Hawaii should have had this recently upgraded alarm system in place long ago, but he feels glad that they have given more focused attention to it recently.

He said that there's a delicate balance to be struck-- given Hawaii's mid-Pacific island vulnerability, you want an alarm system that is not too encumbered with bureaucratic obstacles, because speed is of the essence if a missile really is launched. We thought we heard them say something to the effect that if North Korea launched, there would be only a 12 to 13 minute lead time before impact! (I hope I misheard that-- anybody else remember from the press conference how long they said it would take?)   

But of course, if you have an alarm system that is TOO easily triggered, then you get a false alarm like today's. 

Honored Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

many were killed in Hiroshima - but others survived.  it is best to know how to survive if you aren't hit directly.  i know how to handle an earthquake - but not so much a nuclear attack.  we need to do better on the topic of civilian preparedness.

@ms traditional, let's put some numbers to your "many":

Within the first two to four months following the bombings, the acute effects of the atomic bombings had killed 90,000–146,000 people in Hiroshima and 39,00080,000 in Nagasaki; roughly half of the deaths in each city occurred on the first day.

And I doubt that these stats cover what happened to those who survived those first few months.

I would like to know what could have helped those who were not hit directly from the horrible effects of nuclear bombs.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Each State has an OEM website which is dedicated to preparedness.  Each individual is responsible for developing a plan for his/her family.  State and local governments would be most apt to assist you so I would learn important numbers and resources.  I live in NJ and worked in NYC at a large corporation.  Large corporations in NYC have very sophisticated emergency plans for employees.  After 9/11, the writing on the wall was here in the Metro area.  Indian Point isn't too far away so there is concern re that facility as well.  As a citizen, don't sit on your hands and wait for Wash to help, learn what's available in your area.  it might have been scary for those in Hawaii but their system shouldn't be so accessible or vulnerable so maybe the "mistake" is a gift. 

Respected Contributor

How to Survive an Attack

https://www.wikihow.com/Survive-a-Nuclear-Attack

some food for thought.

Respected Contributor

Why would "a shift change" have anything to do with pushing the wrong button~?  Goodness sakes alive.

Honored Contributor

What happened to the news conference?? Did I miss it or did they not have it yet?