Trusted Contributor

Re: Wow What a slap in the face! (vent)

I'm a giver. There's takers, and givers. Babysitting is an out for her, I am THE babysitter for my grandchildren, always when needed, but if a close family member needed a medical procedure, a ride, and someone to help them out FOR ONE DAY, I'm there. My daughters would accomidate me wanting to help her out and make other arrangements, (in this case, it sounds like the OP is an AUNT also? Idk). Geesh, if they're that close, the SIL knows the OP doesn't have a lot of options because the other sisters are useless.  A cab to go the hospital for a medical procedure is not an option. 

⚓️
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@happycat wrote:

@KingstonsMom, you are right! I had forgotten about that. I've had them too, and taken family members. They do want you to have someone there while procedure is being done.

Glad you thought of that to pass along to cookinfreak.

@happycat

I have to relate an incident that happened when DH has his a few months ago.

An elderly couple had be in before us for the wife to have hers, her DH took her home, then returned to sign in for his own colonoscopy.

When asked where his driver was (they have to sign a form here), he replied, "It's only me and my wife and since she just had one and she can't drive me home, I'll do mine with NO anesthesia".

The nurses (who I know well) just looked at me with their mouths hanging open in shock, as was mine......

Then I had to just cry for him.

Crying for him helped not at all. If you truly cared, you would have suggested he make another appointment and you would drive him. Did you?

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44

As I mentioned up thread, in my area you have to have a driver that will stay during the entire procedure, a cab/Uber, etc. could be pretty expensive is they have to stay there for a couple of hours.

Plus the medical facility won't waste an employee's time to watch you after your procedure, until your cab/Uber arrives, to make sure you don't just try to drive off after being sedated.

It's a liability issue for the the Dr./hospital/facility, as well as for the patient's safety.

That's why your driver has to be present when you sign in and they have to sign a statement that they will remain there for the entire procedure.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I had a hard time getting past the part where your brother died 7 years ago, but you maintain contact.   Good thing, I guess.  Smiley Very Happy

Anyway, maybe it was just a commitment she was afraid to make.  I wasn't there so I really couldn't judge the intent.

I hope things work out and maybe just talking with her about it would help you.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

When my husband had his, I dropped him off and they called me when he was ready to be picked up. He was wheeled outside in a wheelchair and transferred to the car.

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom, that is so very sad. I can't imagine doing it without anesthesia. Goodness gracious. I think if I was a nurse, I'd have tried to have talked him out of it and waiting till wife could drive him, or trying to get someone from the hospital, maybe chaplain or social worker or someone to take him. home. I don't know. I just know I don't think I could do that without anesthesia.

I feel so bad for elderly people who don't have any help. My dad has said many times that he doesn't know what people do who have no one to help them.

Honored Contributor

Have you called your county Area on Aging office, it may have another name in your area, they employ aides who help seniors with laundry, cleaning..., in there homes and likey have those who drive people to medical appointments.It may solve your problem.

Trusted Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@happycat wrote:

@KingstonsMom, you are right! I had forgotten about that. I've had them too, and taken family members. They do want you to have someone there while procedure is being done.

@happycat

An elderly couple had be in before us for the wife to have hers, her DH took her home, then returned to sign in for his own colonoscopy.

When asked where his driver was (they have to sign a form here), he replied, "It's only me and my wife and since she just had one and she can't drive me home, I'll do mine with NO anesthesia".

The nurses (who I know well) just looked at me with their mouths hanging open in shock, as was mine......

Crying for him helped not at all. If you truly cared, you would have suggested he make another appointment and you would drive him. Did you?

I HOPE you're joking. But I don't see an LOL. What is WRONG with people? THIS.

⚓️
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Tinkrbl44

As I mentioned up thread, in my area you have to have a driver that will stay during the entire procedure, a cab/Uber, etc. could be pretty expensive is they have to stay there for a couple of hours.

Plus the medical facility won't waste an employee's time to watch you after your procedure, until your cab/Uber arrives, to make sure you don't just try to drive off after being sedated.

It's a liability issue for the the Dr./hospital/facility, as well as for the patient's safety.

That's why your driver has to be present when you sign in and they have to sign a statement that they will remain there for the entire procedure.

@KingstonsMom

Well, it obviously varies from state to state ... or different faciities.    I still don't see why a person is obligated to sit and do nothing while someone is having a procedure, as long as they are available when the patient is ready to go home.

I recently had a lumbar epidural with anesthesia and my friend gave her cell phone # and went to have breakfast with another friend, coming back beore I was ready to go.  This was at the highly-ranked Cedars Sanai hospital in Los Angeles, and they seem to not only have good procedures, but are up on potential liability issues.  

The OP needs to verify any requirements that may apply to her situation.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@happycat wrote:

@happycat

@happycat   @LG

What???    So his wife just had one but COULD have driven him?   Woman Surprised

I wonder why someone at the facility didn't just suggest he have his done the following week when his wife could do the driving.   That would have made a lot more sense, IMO.