Honored Contributor

Re: Wow What a slap in the face! (vent)

@Sooner wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

@onionsoup wrote:

I just looked up propofol and it does say it can cause drowsiness.  Odd that it didn't have that affect on me. In fact my driver was expecting to help me into the car but no help was needed.  I was walking, smiling, talking and hungry. Couldn't wait to eat which we did at a nearby restaurant, not fast food but a full service restaurant.   

==============

You were totally different than us. Even under "light" sedation, my husband could not remember going out for a bite to eat afterwards.  At the time, be insisted he was fine and could drive (no way).  The next day, he couldn't remember anything he said or did that day.  When I had mine, I also insisted I could go back to work. I was so wrong and ended up sleeping the whole afternoon.

@AuntG, yes, conscious sedation is what is used for a colonoscopy, and yes, it does affect memory.

No one should even even contemplate driving after conscious sedation. You need rest and a light diet that day.

Unless you are like my husband and insist on stopping for bbq ribs afterward.  Yep, and loved every bit of them!  LOL!!

The person I took insisted we stop for Mexican food on the way home. She was starving.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

@Apple Crispthanks. I never heard that before. 

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

How in the world would a doctor be able to perform a colonoscopy on a patient who was not sedated? Seriously, I remember sigmoidoscopies during which you were stone-cold sober. They only went in a few inches and I wanted to rip the doctor's throat out. 

@suzyQ3

I believe I once read on one of our threads that John, aka Hcknut, has had colonoscopies he was awake through ....   all I can say is .... no thanks.

Everyone I know who has had one has been awake but under conscious sedation. You can be put all the way under but it’s not as common, and they’d rather not unless absolutely necessary.  

I’ve had an EGD (the upper version) under the same medications. I was technically awake, but you could have driven over me with a truck and I would have laughed. You’re conscious, but you honestly don’t give a hoot what is going on, and I didn’t feel any pain and only mild discomfort. Afterwards? The person who drove me home told me I didn’t remember ****of what the doctor had said to me post-procedure.

Sounds like the drug Versed.   I prefer it over Propofol but Propofol is so awesome I understand why Michael Jackson was addicted to it.    

My doctor quit using Versed and went to Propofol, I never asked why.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have had four foot surgeries, all with conscious sedation. Only in one case do I recall being briefly aware of my surroundings. With the other three, no such recollection.

BTW, I told my surgeon that I had been awake for that one surgery, and he asked me if I remembered the music. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@StraytoStay wrote:

You always find out how true friends are when you need a favor. 😞

Amen to that!

Cathy

Respected Contributor

Confusing story. But since you brought into it the seemingly irrelevant info regarding one sister "hating" you and another treating you "badly my entire life," I suspect that you have a chip on your shoulder and/or have programmed yourself to feel slighted. Forgive me if I am wrong. I would give "sil" another chance and tell her you appreciated her saying that she "probably could" take you.

Btw,  most hospitals or clinics were colonoscopies are done will not allow you to be taken home in a cab. That is because you will still be under the effects of the medication that puts you in a twilight sleep, and they want someone to go home with you and settled you in and probably stay with you for a little while. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Posh Poodle wrote:

A lady in our bible study group is alone and single, having a procedure done this month. She asked if anyone in our group would be willing to take her and wait and then take her home, and she would happily pay for gasoline. I thought that was nice of her to offer that. So is there a group or club you belong to with whom someone could help you out with your conundrum? Perhaps a senior citizens group or bingo group or faith based organization? Just tossing some ideas out there. .  .

Happily pay for gasoline?

I wouldn't ask anyone to do that without offering to pay them for their time and trouble, much less their gasoline.

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

How in the world would a doctor be able to perform a colonoscopy on a patient who was not sedated? Seriously, I remember sigmoidoscopies during which you were stone-cold sober. They only went in a few inches and I wanted to rip the doctor's throat out. 

@suzyQ3

I believe I once read on one of our threads that John, aka Hcknut, has had colonoscopies he was awake through ....   all I can say is .... no thanks.

Everyone I know who has had one has been awake but under conscious sedation. You can be put all the way under but it’s not as common, and they’d rather not unless absolutely necessary.  

I’ve had an EGD (the upper version) under the same medications. I was technically awake, but you could have driven over me with a truck and I would have laughed. You’re conscious, but you honestly don’t give a hoot what is going on, and I didn’t feel any pain and only mild discomfort. Afterwards? The person who drove me home told me I didn’t remember ****of what the doctor had said to me post-procedure.

Sounds like the drug Versed.   I prefer it over Propofol but Propofol is so awesome I understand why Michael Jackson was addicted to it.    

It was Versed, @software.  I never realized so many doctors switched to Propofol, but they must have for some reason. Perhaps it reverses faster? I had a tooth pulled under propoful and was able to be awake within 5 min. It could also be that propofol doesn’t give the memory issues or doesn’t give them as badly. Versed was definitely happy juice. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@software wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@suzyQ3

It was Versed, @software.  I never realized so many doctors switched to Propofol, but they must have for some reason. Perhaps it reverses faster? I had a tooth pulled under propoful and was able to be awake within 5 min. It could also be that propofol doesn’t give the memory issues or doesn’t give them as badly. Versed was definitely happy juice. 

I'm allergic to so many meds, I'm just glad Propofol is not one of them!