Respected Contributor

Re: Wow! Meghan’s friend just said on TV...

@golding76 wrote:

lousgirl84,

You probably have hit on the ugly elephant in the room on this matter.  

For those who do not know -- and this is not to denigrate Grace Kelly, it is simply something well-known about her -- Grace went to bed with quite a few of her leading men.  I recall that when I first read this from reputable sources decades ago, I was floored.  One never suspected her of smoldering sexuality with her ice princess look.

These sorts of things are forgotten after many years have passed, but every now and again, the fact that Grace Kelly hopped into the sack with alacrity comes up. 

[ETA: And keep in mind that this occurred in the uptight 1950s when morals were far stricter than they are now.  Grace was what they called a "loose girl" then.]

Grace Kelly came from high society--a wealthy family.  I was always struck watching her movies she spoke with a British accent. I wondered why since she's American but guess it's due to her rich East Coast upbringing.

Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@bathina wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

@bathina wrote:

I'm sure Meghan has wonderful table manners. She is an educated, well traveled individual (and also a foodie). She will be a princess we can be proud of, just like Grace Kelly.

Are you kidding me, she is nothing like Grace Kelly. So she graduated from college and is well traveled, what does that have to do with knowing what fork to use. I'm sure the powers that be will school all the ugly Americans sitting at the big table how to use their eating utensils.

Wasn't Grace Kelly an actress and an American who met and fell in love with a prince? Of course, Grace Kelly wasn't bi-racial, but their stories are similar. As far as ugly Americans....I'm assuming you're speaking from your own experiences.

Grace Kelly was a classically lovely Academy Award winning actress. She married Prince Rainier at 26, she wasn't a divorcee, and she was fortunate to come from a socially prominent 'Mainline" Philadelphia family. I'm not judging either woman based on these criteria, but Grace Kelly and Markle are not alike.

Because Markle isn't your definition of "classically lovely" and wasn't from money, they are not alike? I'm sticking by my statement. Two american actresses met, fell in love and married into a royal family. Similar stories. Thank you for not judging these women.

Respected Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@SANNA wrote:

That she “  is embarrasingly American “ meaning has no table manners ...... I cannot believe my ears......Some representation we are going to have at the wedding.

@SANNA will this friend really be attending the wedding?  Or did she just sell this amazing story for a few grand? 

The real story is the friend was describing herself, not Meghan.

Honored Contributor

@bathina wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

@SANNA wrote:

That she “  is embarrasingly American “ meaning has no table manners ...... I cannot believe my ears......Some representation we are going to have at the wedding.

@SANNA will this friend really be attending the wedding?  Or did she just sell this amazing story for a few grand? 

The real story is the friend was describing herself, not Meghan.

@bathina lol thank you!  I need to read a bit more.

Happy to see you back!

Honored Contributor

Some of Grace Kelly's mischievous romps:

In her second screen appearance, Kelly co-starred in the 1952 classic western, High Noon. She had been performing in Colorado’s Elitch Gardens when she received a telegram from Hollywood producer Stanley Kramer, offering her the role of Gary Cooper’s Quaker wife. According to biographer Wendy Leigh, at age 22 Kelly had an off-set romance with both Cooper and director Fred Zinnemann.

Grace fell hard for Coop on the film . Although Cooper was married, he was separated from his wife Rocky and in the middle of a tempestuous relationship with actress Patricia Neal . Coop was the start of a string of romances with much older men . In Grace’s case her passionate nature went against the Fifties notion that good girls didn’t until they got married. Grace, however, did and often. It was this contrast that fascinated filmmakers including Hitchcock. By this time Kelly was clearly far from innocent.

In late 1948, she fell in love with Don Richardson, one of her teachers at the Academy. The liaison lasted two years in the face of ­tremendous pressure from her family to end it. When she took him home to meet her parents, her mother went through Richardson’s personal effects and found not only his divorce papers but also a packet of condoms .

In spite of parental disapproval, Kelly continued to see Richardson, along with a host of others including the Shah of Iran . While working , Grace met actor Gene Lyons. Like Richardson, Gene was married, although he was in the process of getting an annulment. An Irish Catholic, Lyons might have met with her parents’ approval if it hadn’t been for the fact that he was an alcoholic.

Given her extraordinary beauty , she was rarely without suitors. Quite how far she indulged might never be known, though there is ample evidence to suggest that Spoto is being economical with the truth.

While shooting Mogambo in 1953, a drama set in the Kenyan jungle which centres on the love triangle portrayed by Kelly, Clark Gable and Ava Gardner, she had an affair with Gable and commented: “What else is there to do if you’re alone in a tent in Africa with Clark Gable?”

The next relationship almost ruined her career. She met Ray Milland while working on Dial M For Murder. Milland fell head over heels in love with Kelly . When Milland’s wife Muriel found out, she threw him out of the house. Kelly found herself written up in the tabloids as a home wrecker. Gossip columnist Hedda Hopper spread rumours that the actress was a nymphomaniac. The relationship finally ended when Milland realised how much it would cost him in a divorce.

Kelly herself was always discreet, remarking simply in her defence: “As an unmarried woman, I was thought to be a danger.” It appears that Kelly didn’t learn her lesson from the relationship with Milland. She next embarked on a torrid affair with William Holden who played her husband in The Bridges At Tokyo-Ri. Holden was willing to divorce his wife Brenda Marshall but the ­relationship ended when Holden admitted he’d had a vasectomy .

Kelly’s next conquest was Bing Crosby, her co-star in The Country Wife, who was recently widowed. Ironically Bing Crosby hadn’t wanted Kelly for the role of his wife Georgie Elgin, considering her too beautiful . Kelly proved her worth by winning a Best Actress Oscar for the role, just beating Judy Garland.

Her next relationship did little to reassure her parents . Designer Oleg Cassini had been smitten with Kelly ever since he had seen Mogambo. After being introduced in a Manhattan restaurant, Cassini pursued Kelly relentlessly.

When she flew to the South of France for To Catch A Thief, she sent Cassini a postcard inviting him to follow her. While Kelly wanted to marry Cassini , she still craved her parents’ approval. Her mother was the first to meet Cassini and was not impressed. Although the designer came from an aristocratic Russian family and had grown up in Florence, he was also twice divorced with two children .

Y ears later, it was rumoured that she was pregnant with Cassini’s child and had an abortion. Cassini was not the only man she was seeing; she also spent time with French actor Jean-Pierre Aumont. When pictures of the two appeared in the tabloids , Kelly suspected that Aumont had tipped off photographers.

On a visit to the Cannes Film ­Festival in 1955, Kelly was persuaded to visit Monaco by Olivia de Havilland’s husband Pierre Galante. An audience was arranged with Prince Rainier to be photographed by Paris Match. After more than an hour, the Prince appeared just as Kelly was about to give up and leave. The rest is history.

Ever since her death at the age of 52, Grace Kelly has led a post-mortem double life that continues to fascinate and tantalise. Perhaps the funniest anecdote concerning her liaisons is the one recalled by David Niven on television to Michael Parkinson. Remembering an awkward conversation with Prince Rainier in which the latter asked him who had been his most exciting lover, Niven began to say “Grace Kelly.” He caught himself in time and changed his answer to “Gracie Fields.” Fortunately Rainier had never heard of Fields and thus didn’t realise the unlikelihood of such an encounter.

Respected Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Sanna,

Unfortunately, your post was misunderstood by several readers and subsequent posts thrashed Meghan for deficient knowledge of etiquette.

I can see now that your post did not actually state what so many chose as its interpretation.  Goes to show you that people understand what they wish to understand.

And yes, you know yourself.  You were not excited.  Sadly, others got excited reading your post and took off.    

Oh well... there are lot of people who have nothing to do and they interpret ...  I am glad I could be a source of entertainment. I will watch the wedding because I love weddings, because I watched William and Kate getting married and it is history after all.. I probably will tape it since I am working This Saturday. 

Honored Contributor

@bathina wrote:

@golding76 wrote:

lousgirl84,

You probably have hit on the ugly elephant in the room on this matter.  

For those who do not know -- and this is not to denigrate Grace Kelly, it is simply something well-known about her -- Grace went to bed with quite a few of her leading men.  I recall that when I first read this from reputable sources decades ago, I was floored.  One never suspected her of smoldering sexuality with her ice princess look.

These sorts of things are forgotten after many years have passed, but every now and again, the fact that Grace Kelly hopped into the sack with alacrity comes up. 

[ETA: And keep in mind that this occurred in the uptight 1950s when morals were far stricter than they are now.  Grace was what they called a "loose girl" then.]

From the responses I got, the problem with Meghan is she's divorced and not a blue eyed blonde from a moneyed background. It's forgivable to be a bed hopper when, at least you're not divorced and a mixed race, middle class woman. 

I merely described the differences. I noted I wasn't judging either woman on the criteria ascribed to Grace Kelly but noted that they aren't alike simply because both are American actresses married to or soon to be married to foreign princes. I'd also note that while it was noted the foray into Grace Kelly's purported sexual antics was cited as not being an attempt to 'denigrate' her, I'm not so sure that's true. Clearly, labeling her a 'bed hopper' isn't intended to show consideration... More to the point, we don't know (and I personally don't care) about the history of Markle's 'liaisons'... We do know that she is supposedly living with Harry... While some also seem to want to attribute any lack of love for Markle to ethnicity, that too is an assumption and while it's predictable... and probably true in some instances, it's not the lone reason some have for not seeing this as a match made in heaven...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you @golding76. At least Grace Kelly wasn't divorced and she was classically lovely.

Respected Contributor

@Teddixat wrote:

@occasionalrain

you and none of you here know anything about their relationship.   Shame on all of you.   I am begginigto wonder how much of this is racially motivated.   Would all this be said if she were lily white

@Teddixat You just read my mind.  I was just thinking the same thing afer reading these ridiculous responses.

Honored Contributor

I find it sad that women STILL compare other women to some nonsense idea of how one speaks, eats, looks, works, doesn't work, to whom she is married, etc.

If any woman should be embarassed, it should be the women here. 

Especially the remark "far worse". 

No wonder 20 years from now we will see nothing different happening. 

Not to mention seeing such vitriol when Melania was hospitalized.

Own it.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh