Respected Contributor

Re: Wow! Meghan’s friend just said on TV...

@bathina wrote:

Thank you @golding76. At least Grace Kelly wasn't divorced and she was classically lovely.

@bathina Being divorced is not a crime.  If it were,  over 50% of the population would be in jail !  Most people enter a relationship thinking of a life long commitment.  Sadly, that doesn't always happen.   Most people think long and hard before they decide to divorce.  I've seen a number of couples who hate each other but don't divorce for varied reasons.  Life is full of choices.

Honored Contributor

No she wasn't divorced but we always  were told they were on the verge ,and the marriage was in bad shape, Ranier was unfaithful, she was coming back to Hollywood

It seems there was always someone, that knew all of their business ,and told everyone else about it

I don't think any of it was true. Ranier really grieved over her death

Honored Contributor

To me, it's irrelevant as to whom the friend was describing.  To describe oneself or anyone as "embarrassingly American" is denigrating.

You could far better say, ruefully-- oh, gosh, I wasn't brought up in this world, i"m hopeless".   That's a recognition of simple reality, and is rather charming and self-deprecating.

But there's nothing inherently "embarrassing" about being a particular nationality or group, and in my opinion, it is gauche to say so.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

It's appallingly poor manners on the part of a friend (or anyone) to describe someone as "embarrassingly American".

Stereotyping of that sort, seems to be the sport of some-- but it is far more revealing of the person doing it, than of the intended target, I believe. 

That friend was talking about herself. 

Honored Contributor

Thanks, @SANNA.  Please see my comment above.

Respected Contributor

She is attending, seems like she is one of the best friends.

Honored Contributor

@fourpaws56 wrote:

Image result for pretty woman gif eating snails

"Slippery little suckers!" 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bathina wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@bathina wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

@bathina wrote:

I'm sure Meghan has wonderful table manners. She is an educated, well traveled individual (and also a foodie). She will be a princess we can be proud of, just like Grace Kelly.

Are you kidding me, she is nothing like Grace Kelly. So she graduated from college and is well traveled, what does that have to do with knowing what fork to use. I'm sure the powers that be will school all the ugly Americans sitting at the big table how to use their eating utensils.

Wasn't Grace Kelly an actress and an American who met and fell in love with a prince? Of course, Grace Kelly wasn't bi-racial, but their stories are similar. As far as ugly Americans....I'm assuming you're speaking from your own experiences.

Grace Kelly was a classically lovely Academy Award winning actress. She married Prince Rainier at 26, she wasn't a divorcee, and she was fortunate to come from a socially prominent 'Mainline" Philadelphia family. I'm not judging either woman based on these criteria, but Grace Kelly and Markle are not alike.

Because Markle isn't your definition of "classically lovely" and wasn't from money, they are not alike? I'm sticking by my statement. Two american actresses met, fell in love and married into a royal family. Similar stories. Thank you for not judging these women.

And I'll stick with mine... They are not alike merely because of their nationality (there are 326,000,000 of us...) the fact that they shared a similar profession and because one married a prince from Monaco while the other is marrying a prince from England... As for not judging, I never labeled either of them a 'bed hopper'... Those were your choice of words... Incidentally, in my book, there's nothing wrong with being classically pretty or coming from a wealthy family...  But if it makes some folks feel better to smear Grace Kelly's name to somehow elevate Markle, well, have at it...

Smiley Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@nyc1 wrote:

@bathina wrote:

Thank you @golding76. At least Grace Kelly wasn't divorced and she was classically lovely.

@bathina Being divorced is not a crime.  If it were,  over 50% of the population would be in jail !  Most people enter a relationship thinking of a life long commitment.  Sadly, that doesn't always happen.   Most people think long and hard before they decide to divorce.  I've seen a number of couples who hate each other but don't divorce for varied reasons.  Life is full of choices.

Thanks @nyc1, but my comment was completely sarcastic. I completely agree with you about divorce. I have been divorced. It's not an easy decision.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are different mannerisms around the world when it comes to table manners; from how a table is set to how one holds a fork.

All I know is that they drive on the wrong side of the road in England. LOL

Image result for chattering gif

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh