Esteemed Contributor

Re: Wouldn't it be great if we could all pick our neighbors?

@Susan Louise et al, these stories of bad neighbors make me feel very sad for you.  I have, mostly, been blessed with good neighbors.  It is awful that the place where you should be able to relax and get some peace is not a haven.  My best to all of you.  LM

Honored Contributor

The vibe I'm getting about this particular family is that they are doing this ON PURPOSE, to get your goat, because of the court case.   I feel like they are just the kind of people who don't accept responsibility for their own behaviors and blame it all on you so they are going to be juvenile enough to come up with things that will bother you, in retaliation.

Anyway, sorry you're having to deal with this.   Neighbors can be infuriating.  Mostly, it's been ok since we bought this house.

About the only thing we've had to deal with has been the ones who leave their dogs out all the time to incessantly bark (dogs don't like to be alone!) and there was one on another street who was feeding these feral cats with no regard for the fact that they were perpetuating disease and over-population.

If somebody wants to feed the cats they are responsible to get them spayed/neutered AND get them shots.  Then, it's noble. Otherwise, it's just wrong.

Honored Contributor

@AliJoi5 wrote:

O/T @HappyDaze, but I love your avatar!  I just realized it's animated when you click on it.  Cute!

@AliJoi5 oh good, I am glad it is actually animated! I don't know why it isn't animated in the threads like some people's are but perhaps that would get annoying, lol, so at least you can see it in motion if you want.  Thanks! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Respected Contributor

We've been lucky.

Our first neighbors were in their early 60s.  They couldn't have been nicer.  As our 2 sons grew, they'd play ball, ride bikes, etc., and the neighbors never complained.   I'd apologize for noise and toys in their yard, but they'd tell us they enjoyed watching our kids as it reminded them of when their son was young.  We remained friends until they passed. I often told them how thankful we were to have had them for neighbors. 

Then we built and moved to 10 acres.  The boys were older and ran the quad up and down our acreage.  The new neighbors never complained.  

Our kids are grown and now we're the older ones.  We allow anyone who asks to come to our pond and fish, bringing their kids and grandkids.  We have a few friends who bring their kids to swim in our pool.  It's nice to see kids having fun.  Our neighbor feeds feral cats that are dumped here, but he catches them and has them spayed/neutered as quickly as he can.  They are great neighbors.

Honored Contributor

In a sense I did pick my neighbors.  I live in the center of a heavily wooded 7 acre plot, the smallest one of about 25 in a private community.  My land is off of a private dead end road which is off of a private dead end road.

The only neighbors I hear or see without invite are wildlife.

City people visit and some appreciate the peace and quiet, but a few say they would be afraid without neighbors close by.  I'm not afraid of 'wild animals' - deer, raccoons, hawks, tortoises, wild turkeys and the like, but I am a little leery of 'wild people'!  Takes all kinds.

I feel very blessed on my little plot of land.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Yes......and I wish somebody else would pick mine

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

In a sense I did pick my neighbors.  I live in the center of a heavily wooded 7 acre plot, the smallest one of about 25 in a private community.  My land is off of a private dead end road which is off of a private dead end road.

The only neighbors I hear or see without invite are wildlife.

City people visit and some appreciate the peace and quiet, but a few say they would be afraid without neighbors close by.  I'm not afraid of 'wild animals' - deer, raccoons, hawks, tortoises, wild turkeys and the like, but I am a little leery of 'wild people'!  Takes all kinds.

I feel very blessed on my little plot of land.

@Drythe, your place sounds like my acreage before I moved into town two years ago, stayed there five years by myself after hubs died. All my friends couldn't believe I stayed there all by myself, but I would say, "I'm locked and loaded, not afraid to defend myself, and my big dog is my first line of defense." Never had a problem. Loved the peace and solitude and wildlife. Just got tired of having to drive 35 miles every time I wanted to shop or go to yoga class. In a blizzard sometimes. Bought a house in town, great neighbors everywhere. All are friendly, but not wanting to be chummy and we all have dogs and fences. None are left outside to bark endlessly. Got lucky. But I don't feel any "safer" here than I did on the acreage in the country.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Esteemed Contributor

I have very nice neighbors. We get together every summer for a picnic. I know 

I'm lucky. However, nice as they are, one of my neighbors is a certifiable lunatic. He has the most bizarre ideas. He believes that the cause of all disease is fungus and drinks hydrogen peroxide every morning. He goes on bizarre diets, one of which almost killed him. When I had thyroid cancer, he came over to my house with some gizmo that he had bought to measure the electrical current in my house and to discover where my bed should be placed. Where the rest of us have pet dogs and cats he has a pet cow and two sheep. We live in a residential area but learned that the no-livestock law expired. Who knew that we had to renew a livestock prohibition rule in a residential neighborhood? 

The clincher to all this lunacy is that one day, our neighbor picked up and left his wife and two daughters who had put up with his shenanigans for all those years. He departed for the south of France one week before his oldest daughter started college. He couldn't even wait until she left. His wife was devastated at first but now she seems to have adjusted since she got herself a lawyer AND a boyfriend. The cow and sheep are still here. I know that because of the aromas that waft up to my house from time to time, but I see a farm in their future.

Honored Contributor

@NUNYA wrote:

I feel your pain. About 5 yrs after I bought my house, My neighbors converted an old building into a daycare center. I would have never bought this house had I known that would happen.

I feel your pain. When we bought our first house, it was in a quiet residential neighborhood next door to a small and very quiet church. Only on Sunday mornings did you ever know the church was there. 

The church got hard up for money, and allowed the local hospital to put their day care in the basement. Every morning we had van loads of kids being bussed in at 6 am, horns honking, moms dropping off little ones screaming their heads off not wanting to go to daycare. There was very little yard at the church, and it was filled with kids yelling and screaming at recess. I'd guess on an average day there were 40 kids at this daycare. It lasted for 10 years before the church realized their classrooms and restrooms were overtaxed and ruined.

When we tried to talk to the church about it, a very old man told me there must be something wrong with us if we didn't appreciate the sweet laughter and voices of children. I offered him to bring his wife and live in our house for one week and see just how sweet the sound of this actually was if you lived with it everyday. He didn't take me up on that.

We had planned on moving to the country before the daycare went in, but the fact that we constantly had kids inside our fenced in backyard almost getting bit by our dog, and it was impossible to hear our own TV turned up all the way if the windows were open in the summer, prompted us to move sooner than we had wished. 

It was one of several day care facilities for the hospital staff, and the hospital finally got smart and bought an old elementary school and re did it for their daycare. 

When I was growing up, we lived in an old neighborhood that seemed to be equally divided between 'old' retired folks and young families. Most of the older people seemed to enjoy and love the kids. But we kids had our rules. We weren't to be on any property but our own, or those where we were invited. We had to come inside or go to the park in the evenings when our near retirement age next door neighbors came home from work and sat on their patio having a drink. My mom insisted that they worked all day and had a right to some quiet and privacy for a few hours, and she made sure we weren't seen or heard during that time. It was just the sort of things neighbors did back then. Most of that kind of respect has been lost these days.

I know if/when we move back into a town, it will most likely be in some type of an area that restricts residents based on age. I can't imagine having to put up with rude and loud neighbors again.