Respected Contributor

Re: Wouldn't it be great if we could all pick our neighbors?

Boy do I relate to OP.  We lived in a cul de sac and the teenage kids next door would throw a baseball back and forth so it hit our garage door and dented it.  The people two doors down decided to have a party and bonfire so we woke up with ashes all over our cars.  One neighbor put his three dogs in his back yard when he left for work everyday and they barked non stop and my husband who worked nights wanted to kill them.  We did not try to beautify our front yard since the neighbors erected an basketball in front of our yard and when the ball rolled into our yard a bunch of teenagers stomped our flowers and grass. One neighbor started a band in his garage.  All this happened in two different neighborhoods.  We have dogs and try to be so considerate of others. 

We moved to a 55+ community and not a problem with anyone.

We are tired of living in Florida and want to move to the Carolina mountains but cannot find many communities there that are adult only.  We are just afraid to move somewhere where that does not have a community like that.  I had children but they were never allowed to bother anyone and we were always thnking about how our actions affected our neighbors.

Respected Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

I have had neighbor problems every place I have lived, so "moving" is not always the answer. I had drug dealers living next door in the house we used to live in. I can't even tell you how many times I called the police. Now, I live in an apt. I had a total of four hours sleep last night. Dogs barking, sirens, helicopter circling, people yelling, babies crying, on and on. My cat wakes me up at all hours. He is like a watch dog and if he hears something outside, he wakes me up. If it's not the noise, it's the heat. Too hot to sleep. That's life in the big city.

And that's why DH and I moved to the country! Take me home country roads......

Honored Contributor

I think nothing in the world is worse than having terrible neighbors.

I live on a lovely street and my neighbors are like the UN, representing ever imaginable country, continent, language group, ethnicity, age group- you name it.

There is not one household that isn't a pleasure.

Noisy parties? YES, but at 9pm ON THE DOT, silence.

Bad weather, personal tragedy, community strife? ALL IN TOGETHER.

Loud doggies? Walked 'till they're too tired to bark LOL.

We are BLESSED, and we know it!

Respected Contributor

@violann wrote:

I think nothing in the world is worse than having terrible neighbors.

I live on a lovely street and my neighbors are like the UN, representing ever imaginable country, continent, language group, ethnicity, age group- you name it.

There is not one household that isn't a pleasure.

Noisy parties? YES, but at 9pm ON THE DOT, silence.

Bad weather, personal tragedy, community strife? ALL IN TOGETHER.

Loud doggies? Walked 'till they're too tired to bark LOL.

We are BLESSED, and we know it!

A neighborhhod about 20 minutes from me borders on a large farm.  The owners of that farm started a CAFO.  They've got thousands of pigs there. Talk about terrible neighbors....

The residential neighborhood folks have filed complaints, hired a lawyer but so far, nothing has seemed to help.  There's a stench so bad, these folks can't have their windows open when the weather's nice, can't be out on their decks, and now they're worried about their water getting polluted.

I was on a bus trip last spring and happened to pass near this place.  You can't BREATHE the air near there!!  No kidding.  I now understand the neighbors' complaints.  It's just awful!  And they fear their property values have plummeted in addition to everything else.  I know I'd never want to buy a house near something like that.

Honored Contributor

I'm almost embarrassed to post this, but I was raised on a farm, the cow barns across the footpath, the horse barn diagonally to the left down the hill, and the piggery and chicken coops on the left up the hill.

I cannot describe how much I miss "farm smell". At this time of year, back-to-school and putting in silage, also a soury, icky stench was accompanied by the ceaseless din of the gas engine that powered the shoot that blew the silage into the red ceramic block silos. 

I feel heartily sorry for people who are appalled by farm odors, and I totally and completely understand it. It really is sometimes like being on the inside of a dirty gas station bathroom. But oh my, how I miss it.

Blessings to all of you farmers who help to keep us fed and smell farm smells every day!

Honored Contributor

We've been blessed with thoughtful neighbors living on the outskirts of a small town.  People helping people is the motto of our neighborhood and everyone is on a first name basis.  We have annual get-togethers:  i.e., Christmas party, summer bar-b-cue.  There are garage and/or yard sales in a 4 block area with each family putting out stuff if they wish to.  We support each other's kids projects or fund-raisers.  The bus stop is at our corner so we keep watch on the kids.  We keep watch on a neighbor's home when they are on vacation and even "cat-sit" while they're gone.  I can't tell you how many times DH has lent something to a neighbor and always had it returned in great condition. 

This morning a new neighbor is moving into our neighborhood.  He is the physician's assistant for our PCP and is a very nice young man with a wife and young child.  DH has already visited and welcomed them to their new home.  I'll bake them an apple pie. 

Maybe it's because we're in a small town but people are very respectful of one another.  We could not have chosen better neighbors than we have.  As we get older we often talk about downsizing but we always come to the conclusion we would hate to leave our friendly neighborhood.

In conclusion ~~~

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Don't get me started about fences, lol.  In general, some people were clueless (years ago) re: their kids batting other people's fences with baseballs/bats, over and over again, until there is a huge hole.  And then, complaining that their dog was always in the other person's yard.   Nonsensical, if you ask me.  Non-thinking generation of 'some' (not all) parents. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

Oh yes!!  We can only choose our friends..not our relatives or our neighbors!! Woman Frustrated

Respected Contributor

Oh yes, it would be nice. I have at times been blessed by wonderful neighbors that felt like extended family.  I have been cursed by drug dealing thugs also. I much prefer the first of course. We have had problems that many of you spoke about children playing in the driveway. Excuse me I did not purchase my property as a playground for other peoples children. Of course drug dealers are REALLY lousy parents. I have told them you had better discipline your children before prison guards have to try to. (deaf ears)

When I have decent neighbors I include them in a prayer of thanks.

Honored Contributor

I guess I would go out and talk with them every time I saw them in my yard.  Hi Joey, could you please not do that and repeat it every time.  

My neighbors are quiet, but annoying.  They mow maybe once a month.  The lawn is over the ankles.  They don't trim anything.  They overfill their garbage and recycling bins and it's always windy on garbage day.  Their over flow blows into my yard and over the hill.  At the back of my backyard it drops off and is wooded.  If you look over the hill, you see all kinds of garbage.  It's not easily accessible to pick up.  I dread it when I see them put out the cans without the lids.  At least I only have one window that faces their house and I don't raise the shade.