Honored Contributor

Re: Wouldn't it be great if we could all pick our neighbors?

Uh, oh.  I just thought of something:  If youngsters do a lot of screaming for years and years, isn't there a chance that they will develop irritated vocal cords and/or nodules?   I once knew a singer who had to stop talking/singing because of nodules on the vocal cords or related area.  But that person was an adult at the time.  Screaming from a very, very young age wouldn't be ideal at all.  In the long run.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Uh, oh.  I just thought of something:  If youngsters do a lot of screaming for years and years, isn't there a chance that they will develop irritated vocal cords and/or nodules?   I once knew a singer who had to stop talking/singing because of nodules on the vocal cords or related area.  But that person was an adult at the time.  Screaming from a very, very young age wouldn't be ideal at all.  In the long run.

@ROMARY Well, I guess I can always hope the kids will lose their vocal cords until they become adults so I don't have to listen to them scream anymore ooonooo.gif

Respected Contributor

I feel your pain. About 5 yrs after I bought my house, My neighbors converted an old building into a daycare center. I would have never bought this house had I known that would happen.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's not just a matter of being inconsiderate - or seriously affecting your  (& your child's or pet's) health - but many are also involved in criminal dealings that affect everyone's safety.

You never know...

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wow that's a lot to deal with. I am sorry for what you are going through!

Yes i wish we could pick our neighbors. Well on the one side. (The other side is fine).

These neighbors- Their dog "goes" on our lawn, they park their 5 cars all over the street that no one can park when visiting. (We have a driveway and garage but our 2 cars are in/on those). Lastly the worst, they throw cigarette butts in our mulch and set off fireworks all Summer (the cops were here twice for those incidents to no avail).

This is in the country. if I could pick, Id pick my old neighbors in the city I grew up in! My neighbors in the city were wonderful! People here condemn the city but really they are worse here and I might add VERY UNfriendly!

We would move in a minute but this house my husband built is almost paid off and i don't work, so we have to stay here and are not about to start over.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Susan Louise!  So sorry to hear what you've been going through.  Believe me, you're not alone.  Here's my story ~

Our next-door neighbors and I haven't talked in over a month and I'm good with that.  Talk about dogs barking?  On more than one occasion they have let their two dogs (hounds) bark and howl outside our window for 45 minutes or more.  They also have a screaming child that likes to kick the metal garage door apparently to let her parents know she wants it open.  (That must take less effort then just asking them to open it, lol).  They let those weeds with the puffy white things at the top of them grow on the other side of my fence which are now probably about eight feet tall.  Whenever the wind blows the white puffy things blow all over our yard ~ you know what that means ~ they will most probably seed themselves and we'll have the pleasure of those weeds all over our property.  Let's see, what else?  OH!  OH!  Then there was the evening they had some friends over and the men (and I use that word loosely) hooked up an amplifier in the driveway and starting playing their guitars (well after dark).  Their front porch looks like a garbage dump.  Speaking of garbage, they hoard their trash on the side of the house because they're too freakin cheap to pay for it's removal.  Just yesterday morning I went along the side of our house to water our flowers and found a half full plastic bottle of choclate syrup lying there.  I think we all know where that came from.  There.  That's my story.  I should add that I love dogs ~ have three of them myself.  The difference is when ours start barking we bring them in the house.  As far as moving is concerned we aren't going anywhere.  I love this house and love our yard and all the beautiful birds that visit it everyday.  Nope, not going anywhere.  Good luck with your situation.  In a way it's comforting to know I'm not in this boat alone, lol... 

Edited to add the best part of all (couldn't leave this out)..

One time when we were still friendly we were out front talking in my driveway.  Here comes little miss garage kicker, lifts up her dress and squats to take a you-know-what on our lawn.  I was mortified!  I was like, NO NO NOOOOOOOOO!!!  People, I don't even let our dogs do that on the front lawn, lol!  Yes, ladies and gentlemen, this is a true story...

Honored Contributor

@Julie928  GAWD!  We could both write a book...LOL

BTW, I think I recognize you/your name from the Hummingbird forum! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Susan Louise

You poor thing!  I feel bad, as I know how a batch of bad neighbors can make your life miserable!  We have lived here 30 years and thank God the neighbors on each side are sent from God!  Nicest, most pleasant  quiet people on earth.  But, Oh boy 10 years back we had 3 homes with noisy, inconsiderate idiots.  One home had a couple with 4 kids there.  She let the kids out to play on Friday, and I don''t think she checked on them until Monday.  They partied hearty, and let the kids run up and down the block until 1 or 2am.  They roller skated, yelled, played tag would run through everyone's yard.  Then the singing began. They howled and sang so drunk.  pitiful.  Police were called at least 3 times a week or more. The noise was so bad it woke us up from a sound sleep, and we lived across the street and down 3 homes! The police were out so much, they told us we needed to sign a complaint form, that means our names would be revealed! .  But no one wanted to do that, because these were people who were really rough and scary.  After 5 years of terrorizing the neighborhood they moved as the house got that black mold. Sweet justice. 

Another home used their home for  church services.  You'd think as a church  they would be considerate.  But with about 50 people there a few times a month they had these BBQ's that sent smoke so thick we had to close windows in the middle of summer.  The parents would be having Bible study, and about 15 little kids would run like Banchee's through our yards, yelling, screaming and laughing..totally uncontrolled. I wouldn't mind that during the day, but they started at about 5 pm and were out until 12pm.  They moved after a few years.

The last wild group was the family across the street.  They had 6 kids, and when they were little the family was quiet, and respectful.  Then, as the kids grew into teens they turned wild and wayward.  The son joined a gang, and the girls were rough, I think one was in a gang too.  They had these parties with 100 or more kids.  Every time we called police, they filed out over the fences. That takes time.  I hate to call police, so the neighbors and I took turns. Luckily, they seemed to call first. Then after you call the police don't come for a while.  We shouldn't have to call police. The father was a gambler I think, and the kids back talked the Mom and terrorized her.  We have 2 stories, and I could see her pacing the upstairs bedroom, while parties were going on.  The son would yell at her, and I can't even tell you here what he said to her.  She left her husband and the 3 of the kids.He tried to keep the home for 2 years but it fell into bankruptcy,    Yes!  God is good,

All the neighbors are great now.  We haven't had problems in years, but all us old timers on the block remember when....

Trusted Contributor

Yes, Susan Louise, that's me!  We've had so many hummingbirds these past couple of days, all females.  I guess the males have left already.  I'm so sad all the hummingbirds will be migrating soon.  :-(

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoekitty  Thanks for sharing! Maybe there should be a support group for those who have to deal with $%&* neighbors  jjjdramasmileyf.gif

I'm so glad you have much better neighbors now! Smiley Happy