Honored Contributor

Wouldn't it be great if we could all pick our neighbors?

[ Edited ]

Have Mercy! Oh how I wish we could just up and move!

We are surrounded on ALL sides by inconsiderate neighbors...

Those that fed feral cats to a point where they multiplied to 13 before we had to start trapping them! Then we had neighborhood kids throw balls in our yard so often they dented the side of our home, plants in our gardens and nearly clocked me when I was sitting on our patio!

Neighborhood kids that LOVE to ride their bikes and skateboards up our driveway...

And neighbors we had to bring to court over a barking dog...and we won! It is now looking like we are on the way to having to go through it all again. They now have another dog...same problem...should we be surprised?

Then the be-all-end-all...their 3 kids are between 4-7 yrs old. When they play outside in the backyard, they scream when they play with each othernot just for a few minutes, but for an hour or more.

While I was trying to enjoy sitting on our patio about 100 yds away from them, the kids BLOOD-CURDLING screams go straight to my nerves everytime...and then add in the dog barking. HOW in heaven's name can the mother and father, which are both sitting outside with them take it?

They don't wear ear plugs and they don't even try and curb their kids or the dog's behavior...

I can't imagine what these kids are going to be like when they are adults. They certainly are not given any guidelines at this early stage of their lives. 

I had to go inside and not enjoy being outdoors because of the insanity. Call me kooky, but I know I never behaved like that as a young kid. I don't remember ever screaming throughout my entire life other than seeing a scary movie at the movie theater! These kids do it nearly every day!

Off my soapbox...time to let my blood pressure go down with a glass of wine Smiley Tongue

Valued Contributor

Re: Wouldn't it be great if we could all pick our neighbors?

Oh dear... it sounds like it may be time for you to find an area with fewer young families and one that is more suitable to your quiet lifestyle.   Sleeping FaceSlightly Smiling Face Good luck with everything!

Honored Contributor

I used to have a horrible neighbor and I tried everything I could think of to communicate with her, but it was all to no avail because she was way too self focused.Eventually she moved from her house next to us into a townhouse.  When she eventually sold the house she owned next to us we had already moved , thank goodness , because she sold it to the county who made it into a halfway house for parolees from jail.(in a middle class suburban neighborhood). The township eventually got that moved out but now it is being used as a  home for people with pretty severe learning disabilities who I understand scream all day and night and are frequently running outside disrobed, poop and pee outside in people's yards etc. And the staff who work there come and go 24/7 disturbing the neighbors and are outside smoking, talking and laughing all night so much that no one can open a window. So now the original bad neighbor with the barking dogs doesn't seem so bad.

Trusted Contributor

I would move if I were you. I've ALWAYS had considerate neighbors.

Respected Contributor

Then I have to stop & wonder if my neighbors would pick me? Am I pleasant & thoughtful? I feel that I am, but maybe those neighbors feel that they are too.

Honored Contributor

@italia8140 wrote:

I would move if I were you. I've ALWAYS had considerate neighbors.

@italia8140  Oh, you are so lucky! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The kids across the street do this. They think they can play in my  driveway. It's not my problem they don't have a concrete driveway. I  have asked them nicely over and over,  not  to play here. The liabilities, the noise, and my dog is  very ill. (gets upset), My kid even told them. They say nasty things after I say it.  I love kids, but when I was a kid I would never play in someone else's yard if I didn't have a friend there.I do not want to confront their parents. It seems after a few times they would get the message. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've noticed that some youngsters sure do a lot of screaming now-a-days.  Then, I've seen/heard teens as well as youngsters let out a big scream as soon as they get out of their car(s).  Must be some sort of fad?   Or an overt imitation of our present society.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

I've noticed that some youngsters sure do a lot of screaming now-a-days.  Then, I've seen/heard teens let out a big scream as soon as they get out of their car(s).  Must be some sort of fad?   Or an overt imitation of our present society.

@ROMARY  I just call it poor quality and lazy parenting for the kids. In the end, the lack of social responsibility will hit the parents when the kids get older and become adults...so they will all pay for it in some way later in life. 

It is not normal to have kids scream at each other on a near daily basis.

Valued Contributor

The houses in my neighborhood are spread out pretty well, so we don't tend to get on one another's nerves.  But we did have this one neighbor steal our cat once.  I was only maybe 8 years old.  My cat had been a stray so we never felt right about keeping her in 24/7.  We'd let her out to stretch her legs, but one night she didn't come home.  Days go by and I'm heartbroken.  I start walking to all of the neighbor's homes and asking if they've seen my cat... describing her... showing photos... sobbing.  The guy who lived behind us said he'd never seen her before and wished me luck finding her.  So one night maybe a week later, my dad is walking my dog very late.  He is certain he sees my cat in the guy's upstairs window.  He bangs on the guys door at 1 a.m. and demands the cat back.  He eventually gave her up and whined that his kid had become attached to her... and that's why he (a grown "man") lied to an (adorable... j/k!) 8-year-old girl crying for her missing pet!  To this day, I'm just... speechless.  He's lucky I hadn't been hardened by the world yet (lol), because I would have went gangsta on his arse.  Fisted Hand Sign