Esteemed Contributor

Re: Would you want to work for a company

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

That paid every employee the exact same wage?  If not why?

So, have you heard of a company doing this? I'm curious as to which Business Report has this information.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Esteemed Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@blahblahvampemerblah wrote:

No, I would not.  As they found out, slackers got the same as the over achievers, and then the best workers quit.  

Amsterdam found out that welfare recipients would get a job just as their benefits were ending at the five-year mark.  Then they reduced it to four and got the same result.  Ditto for three years.

A college professor tried this kind of thing with the grading system, and the slackers slacked off even more, and the good students didn't try as hard.

You can't change human nature, and how many are in the middle of that bell-shaped curve.

What does a bell shaped curve have to do with it?  

It means X percentage gets a certain rating or grade, another X percent gets another grade and so on. Most people fall into the meets or middle category. The company I worked for had someone rate you who did not even work in the same location and never met you. Essentially you were just a number to them.It was based on some algorithm that the mothership created so they essentially screwed as many people as they could. The first year they did this almost everyone in New York got these wonderful reviews and bonuses and those of us in Phoenix got squat. How can you evaluate someone when all you know is their name? So by year two everyone said to h..l with it and did just enough to stay employed. Why do I want to bust my rear end for a company that doesn't appreciate it. Getting laid off (they then transferred our jobs to the east coast so we all got laid off) was the best thing. From what I have heard, it was a giant mistake to close our office as they can't find anyone to hire back there at their crummy pay scale. Karma

Honored Contributor

Absolutely not. 

At one of the law firms I worked at, all the secretaries were paid the same salary regardless of how long they had worked for the company, how many years of prior experience they had, how good their work was, etc.  It was a huge point of contention among them.

I also think it's extremely unfair to give all employees the same raise across the board which happened at that firm all the time.  There was no incentive at all to go out of your way to do better because there was no reward.  Someone who called off constantly and was a complete slacker got the same raise as those who busted their behinds.