Honored Contributor

Re: Would you use jiffy Lube for an expensive car that requires synthetic oil?

I don't think that I would.  Is there another garage or mechanic in your area that's dependable?

For my new car I just bring it to the dealership and they take care of it.  For our older car, my neighbor owns a Goodyear and he'll take our car (he does this for all neighbors) to work with him and they do the work....it's nice to have that door to door service!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

We use our mechanic in town for any of our vehicle needs.  Since the dealership "freebies" ran out on our purchase and they wanted to over charge us for just the basics we use our local mechanic.  Need to be very careful with dealerships. We've been over charged at dealerships before.   And we always drop off our car at the mechanics and they call us when it's done.  There have been times I have made an "appointment" with them and sat and waited but since we know them I usually sit and talk with them, and bring my book.  Using the dealer was always a good 2-3 hour wait even when I got there before they opened and was 1st in line.  Also when I use our local mechanic we buy our own oil since we can find it cheaper and that way we know what is going into the tank.  It makes the oil change cheaper.  

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

EDITED TO ADD: Is there any way to get a good oil change and not wait very long or have to leave the car? 

@Mindy D 

I took my car in and left it with the dealer on the day before my scheduled appointment.  I had a ride to and fro. I did that b/c I didn't want to wait in their waiting room. 

Frequent Contributor

I have used Valvoline and was very happy with the service.  You sit in your car while they do the oil change.   They have several agents working on the car at once and they show you everything they are doing as they go along.  Yes, they do use synthetic oil, that is what I have been using in my car since it's first oil change.  Once you are in the garage bay they probably have you in and out in 15 - 20 minutes.  I will use them again.

Esteemed Contributor

Definitely not. If the car is expensive and you want longevity, take it to the dealer and get the oil changed properly. Jiffy Lube is okay for older cars and work related vehicles. I wouldn't bring my car there. 

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

Would you take your car to jiffy lube if your car requires a synthetic oil? Have you had an oil change during the pandemic? How long is the wait at Jiffy Lube these days? Would you bring your own premium oil?

EDITED TO ADD: Is there any way to get a good oil change and not wait very long or have to leave the car? 

There are several drive in oil change places near me.  I went to a place one called Take 5 Oil Change right down the road from me.  I choose them because of the proximity and their ratings.  They sell different types of oil.  I believe the synthetics are more expensive (that's the case everywhere).  There's no need to bring your own oil.  Usually on the websites, there is a link for specials/coupons.  That's what I did.  I didn't have to get out of my car.  They were extremely nice.  I was in and out in no time.  Would definitely use again.

Esteemed Contributor

If you already have a good relation with service, why would you change?  Cheaper and faster may not suit.

Trusted Contributor

Why would you use Jiffy Lube for an "expensive" car? Go to the dealer, but wait until they have a sale on their oil change.  Many offer discounts as they have less business due to the pandemic. 

Honored Contributor

We have NEVER had anyone change our oil other than us! My dh is a diehard car guy and he woudn't let anyone touch any of our cars! 

"Pure Michigan"