Honored Contributor

Re: Would you trust a friend....

@Grouchomarx  Confront her whether in person or on the phone and tell her how how you feel and why did she tell DH.  It will be interesting to hear her answer.  You can tell her you never told anyone her secrets.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I think you can still trust her. Although not right, telling your husband is often a given and you don't know if she said anything to anyone else!

If this is a good friend, then you should be able to confide in her.  

Honored Contributor

Image may contain: text

Honored Contributor

@Hooty  LOL I'm not listening...

Image result for i'm listening gif

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

I confided something very private to who I thought was my friend..... and  later, when we were talking in a group of people, she brought it up in the conversation which totally shocked me. I never forgave her for that... and then looking back at things she said or did during our friendship, I saw that she had been that way all along.  I was duped into thinking she was my friend.   I am someone who if you confide something  private to me  IT NEVER IS SPOKEN AGAIN.  I thought she was this way also......  

I did finally end the friendship. In an email to her. I told her how I felt and that we both needed to move on. I think she was shocked.  That was about 5 years ago.   I do not miss her and am glad she is out of my life.

Looking back I see now that she was always very jealous of me.... and a true friend is never jealous of her friend.  

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I think it is unfair to tell someone something you REALLY REALLY don't want ever told.  It is a big burden for them.  If you want it kept secret, keep it secret yourself. 

Why is it a burden?  I would be happy to help a friend carry a burden!

Being trusted is a compliment.

Honored Contributor

@Suziepeach wrote:

@Suziepeach , and of course when they are listening, they only hear what they want to hear, LOL!

Love your little "peach"!

Honored Contributor

@Hooty wrote:

@Suziepeach wrote:

@Suziepeach , and of course when they are listening, they only hear what they want to hear, LOL!

Love your little "peach"!

LOL @Hooty .. selective hearing, right?  Never fails when it comes to that..

I saw that little "peach" and it spoke to me, ain't that the pits?  LOL

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Trusted Contributor

I think most people can't keep their mouths shut with secrets or confidential information.  At the very least, most people are likely to share information with their spouse.

You made an assumption that you shouldn't have so your friend is not to blame.  With confidential information that you don't want to get around you have to be explicit with your wishes.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Trusted Contributor

Please don't end your long time friendship with her over this misunderstanding. I believe she should have asked you if she could share this with her hubby to gain a males perspective and offer advice, however since she did not and you never told her this was a secret to never be mentioned to anyone I think you need to let it go.  Her heart was in the right place in trying to help you.  I recall a friend sharing a maritial problem with me and I asked her if I could speak to my late hubby to gain his perspective and she said yes as long as he understood it to remain there.  His advice turned out to save their marriage and it was never mentioned to anyone else.  Men tend to be better at not gossiping by the way.  You can ask your friend to please not mention it to anyone else.

What I don't understand is why did you discuss it with TWO people if it was so private????