Super Contributor

Would you tip a dog trainer?

[ Edited ]

Back when our dog was a pup, we had a local dog trainer who technically worked from a local kennel as a dog trainer, but also went to people's houses to give private lessons. It was $100/hour, and that was almost 6 years ago. I honestly can't remember if I tipped her or not. Yeesh. 

But I referred her to a friend who just adopted a dog and wants the in-home lessons. She asked if she 'had to' tip, and I told her if she wanted to, I am sure it would be appreciated. I honestly can't remember if I tipped the girl or not. I usually tip everyone, and 20%, but it seems to me I would remember. Brain fog. 

Anyway, would you tip a dog trainer, especially one who came to your house..? 

Respected Contributor

Re: Would you tip a dog trainer?

At $100 an hour, she should consider herself lucky that I didn't bite her when I got the bill.

Seriously, at that rate, she's tipping herself.

Honored Contributor

I think it depends on the state of peoples finances. If she did a good job, and I could spare it, I certainly would

Super Contributor

Oh, it was not sticker shock for me, she was very upfront about her fees when I first contacted her. She did a very good job, I felt it was worth it. I know Petco also does obedience classes, I think (back then, anyway) it was also like $90 - $100, for 6 one-hour classes, but obviously there were other dogs there, and you did not get the one-on-one time. And she addressed any issues very well.  I felt the dog benefitted more from private lessons.  

I think (I hope) I tipped her, but I think it was only like $5 or $10, not my usual 20%. Looking back, I would say she was worth the 20%. Our dog has/had a pretty independent streak, and she helped teach us how to reign him in. I think he (we) definitely benefitted from the one-on-one lessons. 

Honored Contributor

What???  Wait.....

$100/hour???? 1473158.gif

Hmmmm, in my building there are many dogs. 

4 on my floor.  I can make $400/daily and/or $2k weekly just for telling Fido to "sit" and "stay" for one hour?? Smiley Surprised  Nice side hussle to supplement my pension.

**mental note**

make up flyers for my new business

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

No. I would not tip anyone making $100.00 an hour.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'd make her sit, shake ... then give her the money. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Honored Contributor

Yes - or a gift card as a bonus 

Or a special thank you gift to show extra appreciation and gratitude.

From both of us.  8)

Trusted Contributor

I would wait until the series of lessons is over to see how satisfied you are with the training. In fact at $100/hr, unless she performed miracles, I see no need to tip.  I'm sure the trainers factor in their time and expertise when they charge.  I don't think their business relies on tips.  

Esteemed Contributor

If this is a person who was working on her own and owned her own pet training business, no I would not. I am a person who has worked in the service industry for years. While I was in school, I worked as a server then bartender and then I worked as a colorist and finally an esthetician so my job has always involved tipping so I am probably hyper vigilant about tipping.

However if she was working for PetSmart as an hourly employee I would probably tip her. That certainly isn't necessary though but I probably would. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK