Honored Contributor

Re: Would you take a test to see if you will develop Alzheimer’s?

[ Edited ]

Always a good idea to live as healthfully as possible, but there is no credible, proven scientific data to date that defines the cause(s) of this disease.

And again, there is no definitive test to tell whether you will develop this disease.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tansy wrote:

At one time I would have said no but now, knowing if Alzheimer’s was looming in my future or my husband’s,  I could make plans on my terms.

Unfortunately, Alzheimer’s is not the only form of dementia.

No, there are many forms. My dear friend since college has been diagnosed with a cognitive disfunction that affects short term memory completely. Each interval it seems to be getting worse. I believe that eventually she won't be able to drive or live on her own. Her siblings have had to meet with Alzheimer/dementia lawyers to try to get things set in place before they need them. I am heartbroken that such a vibrant, accomplished, life long learner is disappearing a little each day. When I think back on it, I remember some very early signs that I just chalked up to lack of focus. By the time it was really becoming apparent, it could not be ignored. I am hoping against hope that her memory issues won't become Alzheimer's  down the line. The neurologist has not ruled that out.

Honored Contributor

I would want to know so I might take appropriate steps before it was too late. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RainCityWoman wrote:

That's a tough one. Would it then become a self fulfilling prophecy if you knew and couldn't stop thinking about it?

I think those thoughts definitely can make it worse (not the disease, but dealing with it).  My mother's oldest sister also had Alzheimer's and as soon as my mom started having problems with stuff like balancing her checkbook (one of the first signs), she started constantly worrying that she also had the disease. 

She used to tell me that she wondered if worrying about it made it worse.  Of course it ended up that she had it, but she had years when it was very mild that she tortured herself worrying about it.

Esteemed Contributor

@lkat wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

That's a tough one. Would it then become a self fulfilling prophecy if you knew and couldn't stop thinking about it?

I think those thoughts definitely can make it worse (not the disease, but dealing with it).  My mother's oldest sister also had Alzheimer's and as soon as my mom started having problems with stuff like balancing her checkbook (one of the first signs), she started constantly worried that also had the disease. 

She used to tell me that she wondered if worrying about it made it worse.  Of course it ended up that she had it, but she had years when it was very mild that she tortured herself worrying about it.

There are many types of stimulation that can be used to slow down the process. In my area there are support groups that offer all kinds of interaction, brain activities, and socialization, and entertainment for dementia patients. To me, if someone is told so early of one's propensity for Alzheimer's, it could, in some people, cause a mood of despair, and a reluctance to try anything since the inevitable can't be avoided. I guess it depends on the personality.

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

Exactly, @Caligurll 

If there isn’t a way to prevent it or lower your risk then it wouldn’t be of benefit to me. 

But there is a way to prevent/lower risk.

Once you have the signs....that’s a whole other ballgame, 

but in the meantime...you can make changes. 

Yes, there IS something you can do.

I agree with you on this, @sidsmom.  The problem is that most people don't want to consider preventive measures.  It is more like,  " I'll wait for them to come out with a pill."  This isn't just for Alzheimers, but many diseases that can be prevented. 

I would not send my DNA in to find out about my future risk, but selfishly, hope that there are people that do. I, however, embrace preventive ideas.   I have to believe that anything one does to prevent coronary disease would be similar to this.  Alzheimer brains have plaque. 

It's an interesting topic for sure.

@tends2dogs

Diabetes, as well.

Many in the medical field are terming:

T2 Diabetes, as Alzheimer’s of the Pancreas

as well as terming

Alzheimer’s, as Type 3 Diabetes of the Brain. 

Alzheimer’s & Diabetes is a similar disease, but just a different part

of the body.  And since we can reverse diabetes...

the work is on to reverse Alzheimer’s w/ the same practices.

I’ve been listening to a lot of summits/talks by Dr. Wes Youngberg.

His research w/ the Alzheimer/Diabetes connection is so important. 

@sidsmom wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

Exactly, @Caligurll 

If there isn’t a way to prevent it or lower your risk then it wouldn’t be of benefit to me. 

But there is a way to prevent/lower risk.

Once you have the signs....that’s a whole other ballgame, 

but in the meantime...you can make changes. 

Yes, there IS something you can do.

I agree with you on this, @sidsmom.  The problem is that most people don't want to consider preventive measures.  It is more like,  " I'll wait for them to come out with a pill."  This isn't just for Alzheimers, but many diseases that can be prevented. 

I would not send my DNA in to find out about my future risk, but selfishly, hope that there are people that do. I, however, embrace preventive ideas.   I have to believe that anything one does to prevent coronary disease would be similar to this.  Alzheimer brains have plaque. 

It's an interesting topic for sure.

@tends2dogs

Diabetes, as well.

Many in the medical field are terming:

T2 Diabetes, as Alzheimer’s of the Pancreas

as well as terming

Alzheimer’s, as Type 3 Diabetes of the Brain. 

Alzheimer’s & Diabetes is a similar disease, but just a different part

of the body.  And since we can reverse diabetes...

the work is on to reverse Alzheimer’s w/ the same practices.

I’ve been listening to a lot of summits/talks by Dr. Wes Youngberg.

His research w/ the Alzheimer/Diabetes connection is so important. 

Thanks so much for the info and sources, @sidsmom.  I am always willing to look and learn at preventive measures. It is much easier than trying to "cure" or manage after the fact.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Trusted Contributor

@Lilypad1 wrote:
A few weeks I read on the internet a company was looking for people of a certain age group to test to see if they had the genetics to possibly developed Alzheimers in the future. If you qualify they have locations all over the US to test for cures. I checked out the company and it is a legitimate company with great reviews. They will mail you a cheek swab that you mail to them to test. They will get back with you to see if you qualify to participate in their program.
My problem is not so much participating in their program. I received the swab for the test, I just don’t know if I want to know if Alzheimers is in the future.
Would love to know others thoughts on the subject.

@Lilypad1, my cardiologist did a blood test on me that tested for this, it's called the ApoE Genotype.  I have genotype 3/4, which puts me at high risk for Alzheimers. This was under INTERPRETATION: 

Apo E4 Carrier: associated with increased CVD risk. Indication for testing:
Aid in the assessment of cardiovascular disease risk.

Interpretation: This
patient has the ApoE genotype of E3/E4. The E4 allele can be associated
with increased LDL-C levels and therefore an increased risk for coronary
heart disease (CHD) compared to individuals with the E3/E3 genotype. 

1. Non genetic factors contribute to coronary heart disease (CHD), cardiovascular disease (CVD), or myocardial infarction (MI) risk. Examples of such factors
include smoking, hypertension, age, diabetes, elevated blood lipid levels, obesity and sedentary lifestyle. 2. Other genetic factors (e.g. family history of
heart disease) may contribute to CHD, CVD, or MI risk. 3. These genetic test results should be considered in context of other clinical criteria by a qualified
physician. The results are not intended to be used as the sole means for clinical diagnosis or patient management decisions. 4. Genetic consultation for this
individual may be helpful in understanding the genetic implications of these test results and management options

Honored Contributor

I would not send my DNA to anyone when I have no idea what they may do with it...the results could be invalid and I would not want to used as a guinea pig for something like this.
Trusted Contributor

Nope.  Why create worry or anxiety for yourself and others?  Live life to the fullest and take one day at a time.  Because that's all we have is right now.  Tomorrow is not promised or a guarantee.   Peace Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I probably wouldn't.......no one in my family ever had it ...