Honored Contributor

Re: Would you take a test to see if you will develop Alzheimer’s?

@NickNack wrote:

I wouldn't want to know.  My father has it now.  He's forgetting things and is not able to think of the proper word of things.  He still knows his family and old friends though.  He can't remember new friends' names in the place where he lives now.

My grandmother had it, too.  I know I could get it,

and it scares me.

@NickNack

My friend, Karla, was facing that scare...and lost over 200lb on a 

Plant Based diet.  That was her main motivation then, now & always.

I encourage you to at least listen to her story.  

https://youtu.be/OGZrOZOUQ2k

Esteemed Contributor

Unless there is a cure, knowing that you are doomed is nothing but bad news that can ruin your quality of life. My husband was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s over a year ago. His maternal grandmother died of the disease when she was 63. My husband has done everything that his neurologist recommended, including exercise that he’s been doing for decades. There are no miracles here. There is no cure. I try to take life a day at a time, yet not ignoring the truth

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

Exactly, @Caligurll 

If there isn’t a way to prevent it or lower your risk then it wouldn’t be of benefit to me. 

But there is a way to prevent/lower risk.

Once you have the signs....that’s a whole other ballgame, 

but in the meantime...you can make changes. 

Yes, there IS something you can do.

@sidsmom wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

Exactly, @Caligurll 

If there isn’t a way to prevent it or lower your risk then it wouldn’t be of benefit to me. 

I agree with you on this, @sidsmom.  The problem is that most people don't want to consider preventive measures.  It is more like,  " I'll wait for them to come out with a pill."  This isn't just for Alzheimers, but many diseases that can be prevented. 

I would not send my DNA in to find out about my future risk, but selfishly, hope that there are people that do. I, however, embrace preventive ideas.   I have to believe that anything one does to prevent coronary disease would be similar to this.  Alzheimer brains have plaque. 

It's an interesting topic for sure.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

Exactly, @Caligurll 

I agree with you on this, @sidsmom.  The problem is that most people don't want to consider preventive measures.  It is more like,  " I'll wait for them to come out with a pill."  This isn't just for Alzheimers, but many diseases that can be prevented. 

I would not send my DNA in to find out about my future risk, but selfishly, hope that there are people that do. I, however, embrace preventive ideas.   I have to believe that anything one does to prevent coronary disease would be similar to this.  Alzheimer brains have plaque. 

It's an interesting topic for sure.

@tends2dogs

Diabetes, as well.

Many in the medical field are terming:

T2 Diabetes, as Alzheimer’s of the Pancreas

as well as terming

Alzheimer’s, as Type 3 Diabetes of the Brain. 

Alzheimer’s & Diabetes is a similar disease, but just a different part

of the body.  And since we can reverse diabetes...

the work is on to reverse Alzheimer’s w/ the same practices.

I’ve been listening to a lot of summits/talks by Dr. Wes Youngberg.

His research w/ the Alzheimer/Diabetes connection is so important. 

Honored Contributor

There was a discussion yesterday on my Facebook about this and that people were thinking about it in order to make the decision as to whether or not buy to long term care insurance.

All well and good until the insurance companies decide to include a waiting period for certain conditions and diseases.  Maybe they do now, maybe they don't - I don't really know anything about what LTC covers and doesn't cover.

If you did it and it came back positive, there's no guarantee you would pass the waiting period in order to collect.

I don't want to know.  I don't want to know any of the genetic findings  these companies can determine.

Trusted Contributor

This is an tough question.  I really don't know what I'd do.  My mom suffered with Alzeimer's for many years before she finally died from complications of it.  It was a slow decline at first and then it got really bad pretty fast. 

Once she was diagnosed, I assumed the worst that would happen was that she wouldn't remember us.  It was so much worse than that.  She got very violent and very paranoid (she was normally a very gentle, loving person) and it was extremely difficult for all of us that loved her.

Because of this, I am worried that I might end up with it.  I honestly don't know if I'd want to know or not.  I can see positives and negatives on both sides.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No way.  Why would I want to know that my genes say that I could "possibly" "maybe" "perhaps" have Alzheimers someday ?   That would tell me nothing since I could just as easyily NEVER develop Alzheimers. 

Honored Contributor

Not me. I would think about it for ever.

Honored Contributor

Nope. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

That's a tough one. Would it then become a self fulfilling prophecy if you knew and couldn't stop thinking about it?