Respected Contributor

Re: Would you stay friends with someone who lied - for an unimportant reason?

Hard to give good advice here.  Given your feelings on the situation it is unclear to me how you would know that she has previously always been straight with you.  Depending on what this flavor was maybe she didn’t what to deal with your response if she just said no?  My guess is you are on the younger end of the poster spectrum, right?  My experience is that people fib often to try not to hurt someone’s feelings.  As i matured i learned that you can accept my truth or not.  How you receive it is your choice.  But sometimes a fib is kinder than the truth.  

Esteemed Contributor

How did @Goldengate8361  know that her friend lied? Could she have been talking to another friend about the situation and the other friend told her it was a lie? This could blow up anyway because friend #2 might go back and tell friend #1 that @Goldengate8361 talked to friend #2 about her.

Confused? lol

Honored Contributor

Image may contain: 1 person, text

Respected Contributor

I would not let this little lie of convenience bother me too much.  I think people do it all the time and usually not out of malice but because they're not comfortable revealing how they really feel because they don't want to offend you.  Haven't you ever turned down an invite with a fake excuse? I sure have. Because I don't want to say you know what, I don't feel like driving out to see you and I hate your husband and I don't want to spend my time with him, and I would rather binge Netflix on my couch than swim in your pool that you think is so great. It sounds better if I say, oh shoot, I am having brunch with my friend, sorry I can't make it and thank you for the invite?  

Respected Contributor

the truth is she SHOULD have been happy to do what I was asking her

this is why I think we should be told what the favor was because I can tell a lot of  posters are only reading the original post

Super Contributor

9 pages, and still we don't know what the favor was???  I think the OP is lonely and needs attention, and she has 9 pages of it. SMH.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can't really say what I would do because the post is so vague.  I can understand you not wanting to reveal all the specifics. 

You yourself said she lied for an unimportant reason.  In that instance I would more than likely let it go.  But if it was that bad or I was that upset, I would speak to her about it. She's supposed to be your friend.  If you can't talk to her about something like this, she's not much of a friend.

Honored Contributor

@JesssMe wrote:

9 pages, and still we don't know what the favor was???  I think the OP is lonely and needs attention, and she has 9 pages of it. SMH.

@JesssMe, it all depends on how you have your settings.  This is only on page 2 for me. 

Super Contributor

This is what shows at the bottom of my page, this post has been going on for a couple days at least.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JesssMe , mine has the same amount of pages and 89 messages.