Super Contributor

Re: Would you stay friends with someone who lied - for an unimportant reason?

5 pages of chat about a question that we don't even know what it was?  Beem me up Scotty!

Regular Contributor

No, I know I wouldn’t.  Had a friend who lied all the time.  The key word is “had”.

Honored Contributor

If one expects a favor to be granted, it is no longer a favor; it has now become an expectation and possibly an imposition for the person to grant said favor.

A favor is a mutually accepted interchange between persons; once it becomes an expectation, the favor is now a demand.

I think the OP is a good person but I think she is looking at this from only her perception of how another person "SHOULD" respond to something she required for herself.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

Some people have a hard time saying no, I can't do that or no I don't want to so they make up an "excuse" so they don't have to say no.  I understand how you feel but I honestly don't know what to tell you.  If she doesn't live nearby, it may not be as much of a problem to let go if that's what you want.

Honored Contributor

Asking for a favor puts the person  who is asked on the spot which is considered bad manners. Instead one should mention the issue/problem so the person is free to volunteer, offer a suggestion, or just sympathize. Two wrongs don't make a right. The OP was wrong to put her friend on the spot and the friend was wrong to make up an excuse.

Esteemed Contributor

If you’re going to cut her loose anyway, confront her about the lie so she’ll at least know why. 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

I wouldn’t end a friendship over this unless you were just looking for a reason anyway. 

Respected Contributor

maybe the friend gave a ridiculous reason not to do the favor because she was looking for a reason to end the friendship

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Trusted Contributor

Maybe she just didn't want to or couldn't do the favor you asked of her, so she didn't want to hurt your feelings by saying no. I think I would let it go and give her the benefit of the doubt.