Esteemed Contributor

Re: Would you stay friends with someone who lied - for an unimportant reason?

[ Edited ]

@JesssMe wrote:

This is what shows at the bottom of my page, this post has been going on for a couple days at least.

@JesssMe,  I have my page set to 25 and the count at the bottom of my current page shows:

ETA:  If you want to increase the number of posts shown per page:

Go to the My Settings link under your user name

Click on Preferences
Linear Layout

Locate Linear Format: Posts per page when viewing a topic and enter the number of your choice

Scroll to the bottom and click on save.

Do the same under the Topic Layout section and don't forget to save.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@hennypenny wrote:

Friends are precious.

Have a conversation. 

Try to come to an understanding.

@hennypenny I cannot think of anything the OP could say to the friend that wouldn't hurt and embarrass her.  I mean what if she just didn't want to do the favor.  So shame her for that???  I think that is what it would amount to if she even brought it up.

Then shame her calling her a liar?

Not my idea of a friend.

Trusted Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

One of the worst things you can do to me is lie.  I admit it, I can’t stand liars.  

I’ve had friends who are no longer friends who lied to me.

I don’t lie.  I don’t like to be lied to.

I think it says a lot about a person’s character when they lie...plain and simple.

I’ll go to the ends of the earth for friends....just don’t lie to me.

I know someone who lies just to be lying.  That’s called a prevaricator.  Her picture would be next to the word.

My advice to the OP?  Just let the friendship fade away.  Don’t respond if called,etc.  you’ll never be able to trust her again.  You can THINK you can, but you’ll always have that voice in the back of your mind wondering if it’s true.

Jeez. We don't even know the specifics about the incident.

From what I gather, the friend didn't cheat on the OP or kill anyone or kick a puppy and then lie about it. 

Cut someone out for one infraction?

Trusted Contributor

There is not enough information for me to know what i would do in the situation, as I don't know the situation.

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

Your friend probably just had a hard time saying no to you. If she has always been a good friend, I’d stay friends with her. 

Super Contributor

I wonder what you did to make her start lying to you now?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner ,

I would give my conversation a lot of thought.

If these two people have been friends for a long time. I would certainly try to have a conversation rather than dump a friend.

I might simply say to my friend,----I was thinking about my asking you for a favor the other day. I just wanted to ask you if  I was out of line, or asking too much. I might add that---- if in the future I did or said something to offend please let me know. It was not my intention----

I would never want to shame orembarrasss a friend.

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Interesting respones; thanks to everyone who is weighing in...I can always count on this board for interesting perspective.

I'm pretty sure she just has a character problem (or lack thereof), which is something that i really (if I'm honest) already knew. She is not trying to distance herself from me at all. You are right (whoever said this...) that we're now long-distance friends, so I could just let it "slide." For years, however, we were always totally honest and candid with each other, so I would have expected her to be perfectly honest--as we've been in the past and about similar kinds of request, etc. Oh well....I think it's a mark of her low character and lack of integrity. Honesty is very, very important in all relationships.

since we don't know the favor - a white lie may be used so feelings aren't hurt and I can forgive that

if a friend thinks I have character/integrity problem - I wouldn't want to be friends

maybe this friend wants to cut ties with you

since she is a distant friend - just let it go

Honored Contributor

I think that those who claim that they never lie are liars.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

NO! I had connected (on FB) with a school friend, from years ago. We chatted almost daily for quite some time (nothing romantic). He told me all sorts of things about himself. He was gay, & told me all about his "partner" & partner was a Dr. & nice cars they drove. He came from a very good, decent family, & I had no reason to doubt him. After about 2 yrs. I found out he was homeless & quite a disturbing life style. I unfriended him immediately, after he called me wanting to borrow money. It's quite a long story, but if anyone I consider a friends, leads me on like that, I have no use for them. He died shortly after everyone found out he had been lying & deceiving all his hometown friends. 

Lying is something I do not stand for. Did I feel guilty, after his passing? Not at all.