Respected Contributor

Re: Would you pay for a family member to get breast implants?

I'm afraid that I'd tell them if they want bigger boobies, they're on their own, I certainly wouldn't foot the bill.

Respected Contributor

No, as a BC survivor and one who had an implant and augmentation, I would not. It was all paid by my insurance and so was the removal when it leaked silicone into my body. They are not forever and at some point in time they have to be replaced which many people donot realize.

mm 

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Respected Contributor

@game-on wrote:

kittywhipped.... i wonder why you asked this question? 

I think it would be very difficult for parents who want the best for their child, who want to do everything in their power to make their child happy yet do not agree on this one thing breast implants - whether that child is a girl or boy transitioning makes no difference - it would have to be terribly emotional for all concerned.  

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Mama Mia wrote:

No, as a BC survivor and one who had an implant and augmentation, I would not. It was all paid by my insurance and so was the removal when it leaked silicone into my body. They are not forever and at some point in time they have to be replaced which many people donot realize.

mm 

Mama Mia...I'm so sorry to hear.  We hear this over and over as well as lack of sensation.

Respected Contributor

ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If they had a physical health issue. Not for vanity reasons to increase size.

Esteemed Contributor

My friend's daughter wanted breast augmentation as she wanted to be an actress and she was very small breasted with wider hips...she looked unbalanced in addition to the breast issue.  Her parents are a little old fashioned and objected but I recommended an excellent plastic surgeon who spent time with them and convinced her parents to support her decision.  He explained that implants were safe and that normal saline was used and not silicone.  She paid for her surgery and never expected her family to foot the bill.  She was 28 at the time, loved the results and it made her overall appearance better and improved her confidence. She never regretted her decision nor did her parents.

Esteemed Contributor

No I would not pay for something that I think can be detrimental to a woman's health.

Honored Contributor

I would, if I had unlimited funds and my family member had a valid reason for wanting it.

Respected Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:

My friend's daughter wanted breast augmentation as she wanted to be an actress and she was very small breasted with wider hips...she looked unbalanced in addition to the breast issue.  Her parents are a little old fashioned and objected but I recommended an excellent plastic surgeon who spent time with them and convinced her parents to support her decision.  He explained that implants were safe and that normal saline was used and not silicone.  She paid for her surgery and never expected her family to foot the bill.  She was 28 at the time, loved the results and it made her overall appearance better and improved her confidence. She never regretted her decision nor did her parents.

Problem with the saline implants is that they break.  Friend of mine had them and within 6 months was back in the hospital, had to take time off from work and since everyone at work knew she had gotten them....the addtiional time off was resented by everyone.  

Another friend has a mom who had them and was in a car accident.  No one was injured but her air bag deployed and it ruptured one of her implants.  She didn't appreciate that one bit as it happened during the dog days of summer but it was back into the hospital for her as well.