Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Would you pay for a family member to get breast implants?

Because I was a BC survivor, I too was aware that reconstruction is part of insurance and why I'd not pay for someone to get implants.  How many times have people said, "if only I lost weight, if only . . . " and go on to do exactly that and find that there are underlying issues and losing weight, getting implants, etc are not the real issue.   I'd never hesitate to help somone who doesn't have basic needs (food or a roof over their head)  but I'll not enable someone by paying for their wants.  If they want implants badly enough - they can save and work toward that. 

Trusted Contributor

kittywhipped.... i wonder why you asked this question? 

Honored Contributor

I think if a woman has low self-esteem because of her perceived body image, that money would be better spent on professional counseling. She needs to feel better about herself the way she is. Too many women strive for a perfection that is impossible to achieve.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

All cosmetic sugery is not covered by insurance.  If you have it done and want to remove it later because of concerned side effects, insurance might cover it.  But it has to be a proven side effect.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@handygal2 wrote:

I think if a woman has low self-esteem because of her perceived body image, that money would be better spent on professional counseling. She needs to feel better about herself the way she is. Too many women strive for a perfection that is impossible to achieve.

It's used by ambitious women to get attention for film work.  Pamela Anderson did.  Several women have in the past.  I remember a funny moment on Judge Judy.  A woman wanted to have her ex boyfriend pay for breast implants she had.  She said she needed it for a well paying job in Vegas.  Judge Judy said she should have gotten a brain implant.

Respected Contributor

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@kittywhipped wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

Well then, you're in luck.  Breast recontruction after breast cancer is covered by insurance and has been for quite a few years now.

No need for the snark, I had no idea it was covered.  Wonderful news though for those who need this information!!  

it's been covered for almost 20 years...........I wouldn't expect you to know that kitty, unless you had had BC.........I have had BC, and almost as soon as I had gotten home from the hospital, I received a letter from our insurance and I get one every year,since....but I didn't know till I got that letter......I wouldn't do an implant, I'd have done an abdominal flap however, if I had needed it.................................raven

This is getting off track but I had an abdominal flap and would never recommend it.

Respected Contributor

no i would not pay for anyone, there are places like Care Credit where you can finance your PS and make monthly payments.

women do not seem to want to seek counseling instead of having breast implants. it is really a body issue because society now is so image -driven  and society seems to be more accepting of them today

i do think that far  too many are getting breast implants that are too way large for their body types. its called boob greed. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think breast implants are a lot commoner than people think.  Before newsweek stopped its paper magazine  I got it delivered and one of the last stories  I remember covered plastic surgery.   And newsweek  called it ****** on a stick because of the number of thinner women get larger implants.   I tried to google the percentage of women under 30 getting them but I couldn't find anything only that breast implants are about 20% of plastic surgeries.

I'm following the show Big Brother and I think the majority of the women on that show have implants because you can see when they lie down their breasts don't go flat.

qvc filled in those stars  for the word I used.  I think that's very clever. 

Esteemed Contributor

I believe I have raised my daughter to realize she is more than a bra size.  I think it is terrible that parents pay for their young daughters to have breast implants. It is a message that I do not want to send to my daughter.  Is that what is so important in life??

Another reason I would not is that our chest changes as we go through life, child bearing years, and menopause. I was a small B cup until recently and now a D, how in the world would I look if I had implants from years ago??? I hate to think.

Respected Contributor

i mean girls were stufing bras with Kleenex in the 1950s...i just think it is very difficult these days to just be natural, we are so looks and image driven.  seriously who would even have noticed Lisa R if she was flat-chested?

some younger women don't want to wait until they have kids in their 30s to look nice now.  they get teased horribly in school.   sometims its like choosing haircolor or a purse. they don't see it as invasive surgery!

i do see that on some of these reality shows, like Survivor and Amazing Race, there are very few "natural" non-enhanced women, just like the cable news shows. even waitresses and female bartenders get better tips if they have T&A