Honored Contributor

Re: Would you move into a house where a murder/suicide

@Annamarie wrote:

occured? It was about 15 years ago. A father shot his 2 young children and then killed himself...... True story. My dh is considering this because the price is low due to the work required to make improvements.Any comments appreciated!

no

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Esteemed Contributor

A man died in the house across the street and a man shot himself in the one next to it.  Haven't seen or heard any ghosts or spirits running around the neighborhood!

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Well, it wasn't that long ago that people died at home all the time.   Back in the day, deaths happened all the time ... not referring to foul play.

If I really wanted the house, I think I'd spend a little time there, alone, meditating and getting a sense of the heart of the home.

And I'd probably ask a friend who's a medium to do a walk through and give me her take on the situation. 

dying of natural causes and a murder/suicide are different matters.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

No, but I know someone who owns a rental house where a husband shot his wife then pointed a gun at the police and they shot him, so suicide by cop. After they fixed the house up to rent they had people fighting to rent it. That is not for me though. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annamarie wrote:

occured? It was about 15 years ago. A father shot his 2 young children and then killed himself...... True story. My dh is considering this because the price is low due to the work required to make improvements.Any comments appreciated!

I will never forget this -- I had just moved into this community & was a renter. 

I recall all neighbors talking about this gentlemen who lost his wife after 63 years of marriage -- came home from hospital & killed himself & dog. He didn't have many friends and people said he dedicated his life to taking care of his wife who had Alzheimer's. 

Fast forward 3 years, I was house hunting & my realtor took me to this "empty" home.  So I enter the home and I turned to him and said "I have a eerie feeling something feels wierd" -- he tells me all the bs about what a "great" buy it is almost $30,000 less than comparables.  

Im still standing in foyer/LR and I said "oh no rug in bedroom, no frig?"

he said "oh they removed the carpeting that's where the man killed himself & frig was full of maggots so the trustee had it removed before the sale".  I thought you knew this was the house😳

OMG, I ran out of that house ..... No way too creepy the thought of it! I think my realtor was drained from taking me to look at places I think I looked for a year and saw 70+ houses -- I think he was like just buy something!!!

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

As strange as it might sound, for me it would be more about the health aspect of it.  If there was a gross crime scene I am not sure I would ever trust it was fully cleaned up and sanitized.  There are some things you just cannot get out of certain materials and you would be amazed at what you may find later on.  Stuff can linger unnoticed for years.

I don't believe in ghosts, spirits, mediums or any of that stuff.  Like others have pointed out, many probably have no idea what has taken place in their home in the past unless it is fairly new.  My home is 107 years old and I have the abstract dating back to the 1850s so I pretty much know the history of the house as well as everyone who ever lived here including children, etc. and can easily research what happened to all of them - most of them are buried locally.   And because I love history, I've researched our address through old newspapers, etc to see what I could find but not much other than a quarantine in our neighborhood about 100 years ago. 

Look at it this way...if you lived in your home for five or ten years and all of a sudden learned of a murder, would you move even if you never had an inkling or reason to suspect such a thing took place?

Esteemed Contributor

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

Caravaggio - Doesn't matter as to the relijus faith/belief.  If a spirit wants to be a menace, it will be.  People do need to be informed of a possiblility of having difficulties with their homes or land. 

OK

I was just pointing out what I have around me.

I also have my dad's ashes. 

He died peacfully at home. The people who bought my parents home were told ahead of time.  He isn't there he is with me Woman Happy

Your dad shouldn't be a problem at all.  I am referring to those who dabble in the black arts and attract the negative entities into a home/family. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Not if I knew it beforehand. 

When we bought our current home, we had been touring various homes while we visited from out of town over numerous weekends.  Didn't really know anything about the neighborhood or previous homeowners, only that the house had been empty for 1 1/2 years.  When we got to know the couple next door about a month after moving in, they told us that a woman had hung herself from the basement rafters of our home about 10 years before. 

Since we are not superstitious nor believe in ghosts, we are OK with our house's past.  But that may explain why the house had sat empty for so long and why we were able to negotiate a very affordable price.         

In my area seller's are required to fill out a disclosure, and one of the questions is If anyone died in the house or property from anything other than natural causes. 

Honored Contributor

Any murder is horrible but knowing it was children, is heart breaking.

I would not be afraid of the house but knowing what happened is something I couldn't deal with no matter what the price.

Trusted Contributor

Hel* to the no, @Annamarie.

I would not even set foot into a murder house. ugghhhhhh

That being said, is a realtor required to divulge that info? That would be one of the first questions I asked. Now, if your DH would like to purchase it AND LIVE THERE BY HIMSELF, that would be my response. Maybe he could rent it out if it's that great of a deal. 

dee