Honored Contributor

Re: Would you move into a house where a murder/suicide

How much has to be spent to remodel it?  Incorporating those costs, is it still a good deal?

Frequent Contributor

It is mainly cosmetic work plus a kitchen and bathroom remodel. It has 4 br 2 1/2 baths and is a large colonial with a 1 acre yard. My husband is a carpenter and does the work himself. Oh, plus new carpeting is needed.

Honored Contributor

Oh, that's great, Annamarie!

I hope you two are able to come to the right decision for both of you, and things go well either way.

Personally, if I really liked the house or it was such a deal that it was a good investment, I would have no qualms.  But I also understand that that is an individual thing.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't. For one thing, I don't believe I could "like" the house, knowing that.

I'm not a believer in "ghosts" as many people think of them, but do tend to believe in the residual energy theory for some places.  I would just look elsewhere, if it were me.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

My mother lived in her house for one year after my father was murdered there in an attempted robbery.  The house sold within a month, although it did burn down five years later.

Honored Contributor

I would not.  However, our previous house the owner had died in it.  The adult children waited to put the house on the market for a few years after their mother's death so they weren't obligated to disclose.  We were curious as to why the house was vacant and the realtor told us.  I loved that house!  One day I was on the mid-landing of the stairwell refinishing the baseboards......home alone, and woman's voice said "Good job".  Freaked my out at first, but never heard anything else....

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

Well, it wasn't that long ago that people died at home all the time.   Back in the day, deaths happened all the time ... not referring to foul play.

If I really wanted the house, I think I'd spend a little time there, alone, meditating and getting a sense of the heart of the home.

And I'd probably ask a friend who's a medium to do a walk through and give me her take on the situation. 

Honored Contributor

I have heard of this in both homes and apartments.

I would move into the house or apartment. I think I would talk to my clergy at my church to see if there is a way they would come and enter under the roof and if they get any bad feelings.

I have heard of unfinished business ententies that will stick around till what was started is finished.

I would be happier if I didn't know about the past happenings before I purchased the house or rented the apartment. Less for me to think about. 

Honored Contributor

To me there is a big difference whether a person died in a house of natural causes, vs. a murder taking place. Two entirely different scenarios.

Just someone having died wouldn't bother me unless it was very recent. Murder? No. Double murder? Definitely no. Double murder of children? No way in...heck.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Everything has some sort of energy attached to it, so I could never live in a house where someone died violently or where bad things happened. I have never seen a ghost, but I have felt energy from people who have passed. Most recently my MIL died and we were getting her house in order and I felt she was there observing us. It didn't bother me because she had cancer and wanted to die at home and I guess she just wasn't ready to leave yet. We didn't have to tell the people who bought the house that she died at home and we didn't. I'm sure after everything was resolved and new owners moved in, she was on her way.