Honored Contributor

Re: Would you move into a house where a murder/suicide

@NativeJax wrote:
Does anyone remember who Somer Thimpson was? She was a little girl abducted walking home from school six years ago...anyone she was raped, murdered and thrown in a dump! So the house was near where I worked at the time and the mother had to look at that house everyday!!! The charitable foundation bought that home, destroyed it and built a park so the neighborhood doesn't have to look at that home anymore. I know it's nothing to do with the house you'd thinking about buying but I have to drive by there to go to my dads and I think about that poor little girl every time, even with a park there now. i just don't think I could not think about that living in the home.

@NativeJax There was the same thing in Springfield, Missouri, where the man's house that kill the young girl was torn down.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

No!  Never!  If my DH wanted to purchase a home where a murder/suicide occurred, I would tell him to have a nice life because I am not going with him.

Honored Contributor

There is a big difference in someone passing away at home and a murder.

No, I don't believe I could live in a house where this happened.

Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

As long as the house wasn't the perpetrator yes I would if I really liked the place.

...I may have seen movies where the house did the deed! lol

Trusted Contributor

In Florida, the disclosure of a stigmatized property is required before selling.

In other words, if the realtor or owner knows that something bad happened on that property, it must be disclosed to prospective buyers.

If someone dies of natural causes, that is not a reason for disclosure.

I have a FL RE license and this question is always on the renewal test!

Trusted Contributor

I think decision to purchase this property is totally up to whomever purchases it.

As you can see from the responses, some people are bothered by it and it does not affect others.

Nicole Brown Simpsons's house was not torn down and people are living there.

Respected Contributor

No because the house will be hard to sell when she wants to move.  

Honored Contributor

I just couldn't do it.  I would think about it.  Rationally, I see no problem.  But my mind would go there.

Honored Contributor

No.  I'm too intuitive.  I have had knowledge of too many things that unfortunately did come to pass. Too many things have happened to me that weren't the normal things people tell you about.

Add to that, when DH and I were first married, I was very, very sick.  We went to bed, and he planned to wake up after a few hours (since he's a light sleeper) and check my temp.  I slept on the side with the large windows and street light in the yard.  His side had the bathroom and phone.  

Something awoke him in the night and he looked over at me.  A tall woman in a white victorian dress was leaning down over me.  She smoothed the hair off of my face and lay her hand on my forehead as though she were checking my temp.  She looked over at him and stood then faded out.

This past winter I worked in a building built just before the Great Depression.  A man horrible man had a businnes there and it was thought that he had several people murdered in the basement.  He was run out of town.  Over the years the building had been several different businesses and left vacent until it was bought, remodeled, and brought up to present codes.

I was eating my lunch in the break room and reading my book when the cloth lunch bag with the foldover lid unfolded and contilued to move itself backward until it had moved approximately 3/4 of a circular pattern.  I was told the spirit in there was harmless, so I just closed and lached it.

No, I've never been afraid.  I'm just "done"!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I would keep thinking about the kids and probably drive myself wild  My imagination would make me start hearing cries,etc. So,no.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth