Respected Contributor

Re: Would you move into a house where a murder/suicide

Absolutely not.

Honored Contributor

I'm not superstitious, so I could.  But a house is more than a financial investment;  you have to know how you're going to feel about living in the space.

One consideration - even though the house may be well priced now because it was the site of that tragedy, that will always be true and the future price may also be negatively affected because there are buyers who would not be able to live there comfortably and you'd have a smaller pool willing to pay.  Sometimes cheap to buy is expensive to own!

Respected Contributor

nope!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Let me give you two different perspectives.

1. I would not risk it, because I have always tuned into energies and have a lifetime of experiences to prove it. So I personally would not want to expose myself to it. But that's ME.

2. The house may not have any bad energy attached to it. A good friend of mine and her husband bought a house in which a previous owner had killed himself with a gun, and they had no negative experiences in the house. Neither did I. 

Have you thought of finding a qualified medium to look at the house for you? Don't suggest to him/her that you know or suspect anything but just say you would like a sort of psychic walk- through to check the home's energy.

Respected Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

I'm not superstitious, so I could.  But a house is more than a financial investment;  you have to know how you're going to feel about living in the space.

One consideration - even though the house may be well priced now because it was the site of that tragedy, that will always be true and the future price may also be negatively affected because there are buyers who would not be able to live there comfortably and you'd have a smaller pool willing to pay.  Sometimes cheap to buy is expensive to own!

What an excellent point. Very smart.

Honored Contributor

Honestly, if the house was free I don't think I could live there.  I wouldn't be afraid but I would think of the sadness that man must have had to kill his children and himself.  It would just prey on my mind, I think.

If you buy it I hope you'll be happy there. 

Honored Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

Let me give you two different perspectives.

1. I would not risk it, because I have always tuned into energies and have a lifetime of experiences to prove it. So I personally would not want to expose myself to it. But that's ME.

2. The house may not have any bad energy attached to it. A good friend of mine and her husband bought a house in which a previous owner had killed himself with a gun, and they had no negative experiences in the house. Neither did I. 

Have you thought of finding a qualified medium to look at the house for you? Don't suggest to him/her that you know or suspect anything but just say you would like a sort of psychic walk- through to check the home's energy.

i was going to suggest that, but I think the medium would look up the house info.

Or burn sage in the house.

Esteemed Contributor

Definitely not. There wouldn't be a price low enough for me to even consider it. I've never had any paranormal experiences, but that would creep me out!  

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

No - I know it would bother me. 

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Not if I knew it beforehand. 

When we bought our current home, we had been touring various homes while we visited from out of town over numerous weekends.  Didn't really know anything about the neighborhood or previous homeowners, only that the house had been empty for 1 1/2 years.  When we got to know the couple next door about a month after moving in, they told us that a woman had hung herself from the basement rafters of our home about 10 years before. 

Since we are not superstitious nor believe in ghosts, we are OK with our house's past.  But that may explain why the house had sat empty for so long and why we were able to negotiate a very affordable price.         

@deepwaterdotter   I believe by law that information if known must be  disclosed to the potential buyer?