Respected Contributor

Re: Would you loan money to a friend or family member?

@ballyk....WOW. I hope one day they wake up and can repay you in some way when YOU need help.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

@ballyk wrote:
Not sure what amount is involved We loaned son $20,000 and daughter $5000 and they decided to stop speaking to us in lieu of re paying. Wouldn't do it again.

That's very sad.  Sorry to hear about things like that happening to good people.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Ballyk, I am so sorry that this happened to you. All I can say is I think they lost two of the most important and caring people in their lives who showed them kindness and compassion. Hope some day they have the guts too say they are sorry for the way they treated you.

Respected Contributor

I have a small family and unfortunately a few members do not believe in loans or borrowing anything. It's only take, take, take and never give. It's a known fact that if you hand anything over you'll never see it again. Money or anything else. 

~Live with Intention~
Trusted Contributor

I have one friend that I'd loan money too. In fact, I'd like to go into business with her in the future.

Other than her, NO.

Respected Contributor

I would help someone in need if they were desparate need of help but I just wouldn't lend money out.  If someone had fallen on hard times, yes, but not for someone to go on a vacation.  I'd tell them to do what I do, save for it or stay home.   I've always been there for my children and done for them what I could, when I could, but it was never a loan. 

Super Contributor

I agree and do the same.
"I always have a chair for you in the smallest parlor in the world, to wit, my heart." --Emily Dickinson
Honored Contributor

I used to loan money all the time to family members.  Sometimes I would just say - forget about paying me back.  Sometimes, I actually took loans out for family members.  It always worred me, but thankfully, for the most part, it usually turned out o.k.  I have loaned a little money to friends in the past.  Now, I am not so well off and people usually don't ask me.  If I see a need, I will offer, but with the understanding of not paying back.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Constance2 wrote:
If you consistently bail people out, you would be an enabler. Irresponsible people rarely pay money back. I know people who constantly make the rounds of family and friends to borrow money. They are users and losers.

While I understand your point I don't think everyone who needs money is a user or loser. I have family members diagnosed with serious illnesses and even with insurance their bills are crippling them financially. If my sister and I didn't help them out each month they would have already lost their homes. We have been helping them with their expenses for a few years now. We are not expecting them to repay us because we know that is not possible. 

Esteemed Contributor

NO!