Respected Contributor

Re: Would you loan money to a friend or family member?

@Kachina624  yes, yes and yes!

Esteemed Contributor

I have never borrowed money from friends or family and they never borrowed from me. (And that includes my own children).

Would I loan out money in the future? I would help my children if they had something happen that they couldn't work. But as of now they both work.

Would I borrow from anyone? No!.

I might add when I was going through my divorce from my first husband, lost my job, and had spine surgery, I never asked anyone to help me. I was living on disability from my job, and part of my pension I cashed at the time and was literally in poverty. But I never asked anyone to help me! (I am now remarried 8 plus years so I am not in that situation anymore thank God).

PS) IMO 95% of the people on Judge Judy cause their own problems. Not just from borrowing/loaning money but from lifes choices in general.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

My father was a very strict, old fashioned Presbyterian.  You just didn't do certain things or cross certain lines.

But when anyone in his family was in need, he was there.  He gave them money, he housed them, he paid their doctor bills.

Our house was like a revolving door, people in need of something, coming and going.  To my knowledge, no one ever paid him back and he asked for nothing from anyone.  He and I had our issues, but I respect him for taking care of those he loved who needed help. 

It never occurred to me before, but I think it was an incredibly valuable lesson.  I never realized what an impact that had on me until now.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Valued Contributor

Not sure what amount is involved We loaned son $20,000 and daughter $5000 and they decided to stop speaking to us in lieu of re paying. Wouldn't do it again.
Respected Contributor

@NoelSeven  Woman Happy Those silent lessons (taught by example) are the ones best learned, aren't they?  Your father 'sounds' like a hero. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@NoelSeven  Woman Happy Those silent lessons (taught by example) are the ones best learned, aren't they?  Your father 'sounds' like a hero. 

Thank you, that is so nice of you to say, Mrs. G  Heart

He came from generations of Presbyterian ministers, lessons learned for him, too.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

@ballyk wrote:
Not sure what amount is involved We loaned son $20,000 and daughter $5000 and they decided to stop speaking to us in lieu of re paying. Wouldn't do it again.

How heart breaking.

Respected Contributor

Depends who. But I wouldn't even hesitate helping my Mother or my sister. They'd do the same for me. 

Respected Contributor

I don't have any money, so it's a no brainer for me.Cat LOL

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Esteemed Contributor

Absolutely.